Author Topic: British Cars  (Read 77624 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: British Cars
« Reply #264 on: November 16, 2017, 09:50:09 PM »

the beast of the countryside
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

countrylad

« Reply #265 on: November 16, 2017, 10:12:40 PM »

the beast of the countryside
these are great vehicles, the development history just underlines how good this British company was. This is a series 1, but has the wrong wheels and tyres for series one. My first LandRover Series 111, was purchased from Middleton Hall Farm near Drayton Manor park in 1980 and I still have it.

jamesm

« Reply #266 on: November 17, 2017, 07:56:56 AM »
jamesm in the 70's I did quite a bit of contracting ( heavy industrial pipe work) I was fortunate enough to work in many car factories. I worked at Jaguar in Coventry, there were three plants in all. The only one I can remember is the Radford plant. I would be staring at the E Types all day long then came the XJS, what a motor. We used to work a lot at the weekend when the factory was on stop. Any chance I had, I would be sitting in the XJS that were undergoing rectification work before commissioning. Such happy memories for someone who would aspire but would never acquire such a vehicle.
CL I said I had driven one but like you never owned one. If only O0

Scipio

« Reply #267 on: November 17, 2017, 10:22:12 AM »

these are great vehicles, the development history just underlines how good this British company was. This is a series 1, but has the wrong wheels and tyres for series one. My first LandRover Series 111, was purchased from Middleton Hall Farm near Drayton Manor park in 1980 and I still have it.

Countrylad , Watching one of the antique programmes on tv the other day , one of the experts Christina Trevannion . Still uses her Grandfathers series1shes had it for years,  she's over the moon with it thinks it's great
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

frederick

« Reply #268 on: November 17, 2017, 12:17:56 PM »
I haven't done renovations, but I put a body kit on one of my young sons cars. A Renault 5 GT turbo with lowered suspension and very very quick off the mark      8)     it brings the devil out in you     ;)

Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

baz

« Reply #269 on: November 17, 2017, 01:57:40 PM »
When I was very young my Dad worked "at the Rover". I remember going to the Works Xmas Party there and one of the things set up to amuse us kids was a ride around the test track in the back of a Land Rover. We were all jammed in the back and were taken up and down inclines and through deep muddy pools. We loved it. That would've been in the 1940s, no Risk Assessment then, present day 'elf & safety fanatics would spontaneously combust if they'd seen it !

countrylad

« Reply #270 on: November 17, 2017, 06:04:07 PM »
When I was very young my Dad worked "at the Rover". I remember going to the Works Xmas Party there and one of the things set up to amuse us kids was a ride around the test track in the back of a Land Rover. We were all jammed in the back and were taken up and down inclines and through deep muddy pools. We loved it. That would've been in the 1940s, no Risk Assessment then, present day 'elf & safety fanatics would spontaneously combust if they'd seen it !
Baz, in the 70's I worked at Land Rover through my contracting job. Although now a necessity due to where I live and what I do, I think it was when I was at Land Rover that I got the bug, so to speak.

They were still making the Series 111's at that time and the Dutch Army Light Weight Land Rover. My main vehicle is a 1996 Defender 300TDI, I have just done a load of work on it, new suspension, brakes, Calipers and Discs and rear cross member. I don't go in for tarting up, snorkels etc. These old Land Rovers were well designed and do what they were built for reliably.   O0 [size=78%]    [/size]

countrylad

« Reply #271 on: November 17, 2017, 06:07:09 PM »

Countrylad , Watching one of the antique programmes on tv the other day , one of the experts Christina Trevannion . Still uses her Grandfathers series1shes had it for years,  she's over the moon with it thinks it's great
Scipio, they're great, especially with the top off and the screen down. No MOT required and Tax exempt.   O0

jamesm

« Reply #272 on: November 17, 2017, 06:17:37 PM »
Scipio, they're great, especially with the top off and the screen down. No MOT required and Tax exempt.   O0
Sounds just what I want. Can I get my wife's mobility scooter in the back without having to lift it in and can I buy one for about £1500?  ;D ;D ;D

baz

« Reply #273 on: November 17, 2017, 06:23:45 PM »
Baz, in the 70's I worked at Land Rover through my contracting job. Although now a necessity due to where I live and what I do, I think it was when I was at Land Rover that I got the bug, so to speak.

They were still making the Series 111's at that time and the Dutch Army Light Weight Land Rover. My main vehicle is a 1996 Defender 300TDI, I have just done a load of work on it, new suspension, brakes, Calipers and Discs and rear cross member. I don't go in for tarting up, snorkels etc. These old Land Rovers were well designed and do what they were built for reliably.   O0 [size=78%]    [/size]
My relationship with the Landrover began in 1964, (before then I was driving the Austin Champ), in the Army. My favourite was a 1/4 ton model that somebody had fitted with a Fordhouses winch. I never needed recovery if I got bogged in, just wrapped the cable around a suitable tree and pulled myself out. I was much in demand when a gun needed pulling out too. One day the REME found out about my pride & joy and I never saw her again.  >:(

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #274 on: November 17, 2017, 06:56:03 PM »

if I was going to have a mudpluger I would go for this one its a 1949 job still going strong
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy