Author Topic: British Cars  (Read 77623 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: British Cars
« Reply #770 on: February 04, 2018, 04:54:06 PM »
The ISIS was named after the river in Oxford
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

countrylad

« Reply #771 on: February 04, 2018, 07:41:26 PM »
There is a farmers/Builders five seater pickup round the corner from me it's not British it is a Mitsubishi but will the British made cars be painted the same. It is mat grey with a pebbledash finish very rough finish. Have any of you seen that type of paint finish.
Frederick, I've seen the Matt finishes but nothing as rough as you describe. Personally I think they look unfinished and not very appealing
countrylad

vamann

« Reply #772 on: February 05, 2018, 09:48:21 AM »
The ISIS was named after the river in Oxford
I had a Morris Isis back in the mid sixties.  Great car with bench seat and steering column gear change.  One day on my way to Brownhills the bonnet catch broke and the bonnet flew off leaving it behind me in the middle of the Chester road, fortunately no damage so just stuck it back on and never replaced the broken hinges even when I sold it.  Going up to Blackpool on the M6 one weekend I stupidly decided to see how fast it would go, end result was me blowing the big ends, doing a u turn on the M6 and driving back home, no central barriers in those days.  Bought a secondhand engine from local scrap yard for £25, money I borrowed from my Foreman at work.

jamesm

« Reply #773 on: February 05, 2018, 11:09:50 AM »
I had a Morris Isis back in the mid sixties.  Great car with bench seat and steering column gear change.  One day on my way to Brownhills the bonnet catch broke and the bonnet flew off leaving it behind me.
Vamann, my first car was a Morris Oxford shaped just like the Isis with column change and bench seat and strangely enough exactly the same thing happened to me :-\

frederick

« Reply #774 on: February 05, 2018, 12:07:52 PM »
Did you know that if your car is at a car repair shop for damage through the bonnet flying up. If you don't pay for a new bonnet catch the insurance won't pay for a new one.......as I had the bonnet fly up on me and it was the fault of the bonnet catch which needed and new one.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Akatarawa

« Reply #775 on: February 06, 2018, 08:54:48 AM »
The Lighting Section at Joe Lucas had an Isis, it was a van or estate, can't remember.

It had been rewired to take every sort of lighting accessory you can think of, quite a complex arrangement.

It was used for road tests of different headlamps designs, fog lamps etc.

A very interesting place to work when I was an apprentice, also scored a specially tested and selected headlamp P700 for my Vincent which had notoriously poor electrics by Miller, the worst ever made, and they said Lucas was The Prince of Darkness  O0

frederick

« Reply #776 on: February 06, 2018, 09:44:55 AM »
An apprentice at Lucas........you were a head lamp.     O0
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Patriot

« Reply #777 on: February 06, 2018, 02:07:52 PM »
An apprentice at Lucas........you were a head lamp.     O0

More of a bright spark.  :D
Don't be afraid to stand for what you believe in, even if that means standing alone.

JudithM

« Reply #778 on: February 20, 2018, 01:05:58 PM »
I just love that this guy did his epic pub crawl in a TVR Chimaera!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-43056769
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #779 on: February 20, 2018, 05:06:57 PM »
Fascinating.    :D
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

ironside

« Reply #780 on: February 21, 2018, 11:07:52 AM »
This came up in one of the car threads some time ago. Read last Wednesday: "On this day in 1972 the Volkswagen Beetle broke the record held by the Model T Ford for the number of cars made" It was something over 15,000,000.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy