Author Topic: 1 Constitution Hill  (Read 2308 times)

mikejee

Re: 1 Constitution Hill
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 07:08:07 PM »
Sorry about that. I must need to go to Specsavers. Realised directly after I had posted. I do not seem to have a copy of vol1, so cannot check that. do you Phil hav ea copy?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 07:45:32 PM »
Mike

Unfortunately I am unable to locate the book you mention, if I ever has it that is. Though I have looked Buildings of Birmingham by Peter Leather, the Pevsner Architectural Guide on Birmingham by Andy Foster, Birmingham Buildings by Bryan Little, and David Harvey's Hockley and although the Red Palace gets a mention in a couple of them there is no mention of it being a monument. I will try to track down a copy of  "Birmingham, The City Centre Past & Present". As I'm sure I had a copy but I wouldn't like to say if it was volume 1 or 2.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

ironside

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 11:27:46 AM »
I am beginning to think the building's connection to Lord Roberts is an urban myth. I assumed it was built in an Indian style, but Mikejee's  link says Spanish Romanesque. Looking at both it resembles neither; more Art Nouveau, as Phil says it is what they did, unlike the later "concrete block" architecture.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 01:00:38 PM »
Well this is what David Harvey says, and to be honest it takes us no further forward as he cites no source or reason why such a monument to a living person would be built in an area he has no (known) connection with some 18 years before his death.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 01:30:41 PM »
Thanks for all this.  I am very familiar with the building, but had no idea it had been built to commemorate someone.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 01:56:55 PM »
Judith

So far I think that the consensus so far on this forum is that it wasn't and that it was just a fancy Victorian factory that was built for the diesinkers H B Sale Ltd who made medals and similar items. I have searched on Google for monuments dedicated to Lord Roberts of Kandahar , but the only ones of note that I come up with are one in London and one in Glasgow and both are statues of the man himself on horseback. The Red Palace doesn't get a mention anywhere.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 09:13:11 PM »

I am beginning to think the building's connection to Lord Roberts is an urban myth. I assumed it was built in an Indian style, but Mikejee's  link says Spanish Romanesque. Looking at both it resembles neither; more Art Nouveau, as Phil says it is what they did, unlike the later "concrete block" architecture.

Ironside,  built in an Indian style, was that foresight at the time by the architects . Are not people eating Indian food in there at the
moment , am I right in thinking part of is a restaurant now ?
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

astoness

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 09:21:52 PM »
well it was john..not sure about now as i have not been down that way for a few months

lyn

Scipio

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 09:35:47 PM »

well it was john..not sure about now as i have not been down that way for a few months

lyn

Lyn do you remember the Surfside Stop that occupied part of the ground floor on Constitution Hill ?
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

ironside

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2017, 11:15:27 AM »
According to Google it is now "Syriana" "Finest Lebanese Cuisine." Strange how these myths come about, I have come across this sort of thing before. I think people assume things or read them from a book written by someone who had the information from a book written by someone who hadn't seen original documents. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy