Author Topic: St Vincent's RC Church  (Read 1144 times)

tad2106

St Vincent's RC Church
« on: October 29, 2017, 03:30:08 PM »
Hi
Does anyone have a photo of the old St Vincents RC Church, Aston - the only ones I can find on Google are of a modern church?

Thanks
T

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: St Vincent's RC Church
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 03:51:05 PM »
Hi tad

This is the best I can come up with, it was always a small and unattractive church which I associate along with the school as some of the unhappiest days of my life. The church building is still standing in Vauxhall Grove, it has just been remodelled as part of the school.  I know there was a previous St Vincents School between Ashted Row & Great Brook Street but I don't know if it had a church attached or if there was another St Vincents in the locality at that time.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tad2106

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 04:45:24 PM »
Thank you that's probably it - my gt. grandparents Charles Starling and Harriet Smith married at St Vincent's RC Church, Ashted Road, Aston in 1893. Sorry it brings back bad memories for you though! :( - It is a bit nondescript - not the kind of grand catholic church I was thinking it might be!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 05:25:29 PM »
tad

As I said the church image I posted obviously came between the one on Ashted Row and the New one now, and wouldn't have been the one where your grandparents got married. I don't think I have ever seen a photo of the original St Vincent's.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tad2106

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 05:33:10 PM »
Oh yes ok - no I can't find any other photo anywhere. Thank you

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy