Author Topic: villa street hockley  (Read 40711 times)

mikejee

Re: villa street hockley
« Reply #198 on: November 24, 2017, 11:12:10 PM »
Shirfar[/size]
The map came from the old Maps site (https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html ). It was the 1:1250  OS map of c 1955 (in which many of the houses are numbered). To view it at that magnification ou hav eto hav ea subscription.You can also purchase areas, though it is very  expensive. The maps are also available to look at at the local studies library in Birmingham, though, although thye have coin photocopiers, not sure how easy it would be to copy them, because of the size.
Would have put a larger area on, but the size restrictions of the site prevents that at that resolution fora large area
Mike

shirfar

« Reply #199 on: November 25, 2017, 11:03:09 PM »
Again thankyou so much for info. Will be in Bham after Christmas and will try look at maps then. Tonight I have just read through this site from the beginning ..it really is good isn't it?  I am also going to try e rolls for more info. Would like to see pics of re union held in September but cant seem to find them. Thanks again

Peg Monkey

« Reply #200 on: July 03, 2018, 09:39:36 PM »
Villa Street School should really have been the name for Farm Street School, that was the road where the main entrance to the school was and it would have left the way clear for neighbouring Burbury Street School to be more accurately called Farm Street School. In the planner's defense they probably didn't know when naming Farm Street School (opened 1873) that Burbury Street School would be opened later in 1891.
So what's this got to do with the price of fish? Nothing really, except that poor old Burbury Street School was given a name it had absolutely no geographical connection to.
Anyway (if you are still awake) I attended Farm Street School 1954 - 1960, it was there I got my big acting break as Doppy in the School's 1956 Production of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
Many said I was perfect for the part, I though I was mis-cast.
Peg.
P.S. I got the cane only once from Headmaster Mr Smith, needless to say it was a bum rap.
P.P.S. Moderators - Not sure if I should have created a new Farm Street School Thread.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #201 on: July 06, 2018, 12:25:36 PM »
HELP!
I've lost the facility to edit previous postings!
Am I the only one, or is it a wider problem?
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #202 on: July 08, 2018, 10:27:05 PM »
The 1st A Company, The Boys' Brigade (The oldest company in Birmingham) was originally based at Harry Lucas School, can anyone confirm/correct the company was linked to St Saviours Church?
The company is now based at The Peoples' Chapel, Gt King St.
Peg.

astoness

« Reply #203 on: July 09, 2018, 12:40:44 PM »
depending on how far back you are going i have it on good authority that the boys 1st brigade was based at the welsh chapel in wheeler st...behind it was a 3 story building where the boys life brigade juniors met and also sunday schools .when the chapel was demolished they moved to the peoples chapel gks..for some years the girls brigade used to meet at smith st school...not saying harry lucas had nothing to do with the BB 1st it is possible they met there sometimes but there were a lot of other companies around.. i will ask my brother who was in the brigade and also attending harry lucas...cant say about other years but there was no BB connection with saviours in the 60s...

Peg Monkey

« Reply #204 on: July 14, 2018, 07:49:15 PM »
Thanks for the info', Lyn.
My original post re Harry Lucas and 1stA BB was based on my recollections from a school friendship at Harry Lucas, I'm pretty sure the classmate in question (he was a big lad) was the base drummer at that time with the 1stA's fantastic band, which I believe used HLS for band practice, of course all of this is shrouded by the sands of time (In fact 52 years of time). I've tried to double check with the guy in question but so far my efforts have been fruitless.
Anyway, on the basis the 1stA had no connection with St Saviours further postings on the Villa St thread would seem inappropriate, but I would be interested to know the facts (whatever they turn out to be) as this particular BB Company has significant historical importance in relation to Birmingham and Hockley in particular.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #205 on: July 14, 2018, 08:13:25 PM »
I was at Farm St School and about aged 9 when my career as a carol singer really took off.
It all started just before Christmas 1958 (my best guess) when my cousin. a few years older than me, invited me to join him and Jim (can't remember his real name) to form a trio of carol singers, Jim was a fantastic spoon player and I have to say even at aged 9 I thought  the plan to have the spoons as a musical accompaniment to Silent Night and the like was fundamentally flawed.
Anyway my cousin said it was tried and tested so I agreed.
When I saw Jim on the night of our first performance I felt really sorry for him, his family was very poor, wich was reflected in the state of his clothing, he was cross eyed and wore NHS wire-rimmed specs (yes I know John Lennon turned these into a fashion ikon but that was much later).
Anyway I thought we were just going door to door singing our carols but my cousin pointed out we would be much more productive if we sang at pub doors, which we did, all over Hockley.
Jim played his spoons like a demon, completetely drowning  out the dulcet tones of me and my cousin, which was just as well.
After a few bars we sent Jim in to take the collection, the sight of poor Jim brought tears to most people's eyes and this was reflected in their contributions, we made a packet.
Ah! Happy Days,
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #206 on: July 16, 2018, 11:39:57 PM »
Farm St School - It was 1954 and I was 5 when I started Farm St School so I'm a bit hazy on the names of teachers who were teaching at that time: Mr Smith of course was Headmaster, there was Mr Williams (can't remember his subject) Mr Eggerton, who was a generalist and was my teacher for my final year when my class had to use Friends Hall as there was no space at the main site, Mrs Jones (who was Welsh, I thought me being half Welsh might give me the inside track with her - it didn't) she taught arithmatic (we didn't call it maths until senior school),  I remember in particular sessions where she tried to teach us fractions (I'd be about 7 then).
It was about that time my mother started taking me to the roof-top miniature roadway on Lewis's - the Austin pedal cars were superb.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #207 on: Yesterday at 10:13:54 PM »
It's 1956, I'm 7 and things are going O.K. at Farm St School (didn't have a great start at infant school generally, 3 schools in as many months, my mum worked full time and criteria for my infant school was closeness to a family member or friend who would take and collect me from school, first Ellen St, then St Mary's in Handsworth and finally Farm St.), in Heaton St where I lived there was a strong tradition of building go-carts and by the time I am 7 I'm making a pretty decent job of putting one together.
Many minor accidents along the way, one worthy of note - the now infamous 1956 Heaton St Go-cart Crash.
Briefly: I'd just built a go-cart and with 3 up we were thundering down the short but steep hill at the top of Heaton St (The Flat end) I was the pilot and things were going OK - then the steering cord broke.
The cart developed a mind of its own and went haywire going in all directions until the steering locked and catapulted us all out, bruised chins and knees galore but nothing too serious.
Crash investigators put the blame squarely at my door: in an effort to cut costs I used some old sash window rope for the steering, that was way past its useby date.
Peg.