Author Topic: villa street hockley  (Read 65074 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: villa street hockley
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2012, 12:28:15 PM »
Lyn

Apart from the back to backs there was no rhyme or reason to the way Birmingham demolished some of their housing stock. I never demolished many houses but we did work on a lot that were modernised, and I can tell you some of the houses that were modernised were in worse condition than those demolished. As for some of the larger houses that were demolished it was nothing short of a crime.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

astoness

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2012, 01:37:11 PM »
totally agree with you phil...its great to chat to david and mike about villa st though... :)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2012, 04:24:54 PM »
Lyn

As you requested here are your four photos of Villa Street. I will let you do the commentary on each photo.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

astoness

« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2012, 02:10:14 PM »
thanks phil for posting the last 4 pics for me..

pic 1...a long shot of villa st looking towards nursery road..potblack now that we have established that your parents were indeed at 3/124 in the 30s here is a bit of info for you on this pic..on the left next to the little green shop the white building was copes pearl button makers..if you carry on down on the left the entry leading to the 3/124 would have been just about where the last car is parked..carry on a tad further down and you can see young children out playing..im totally convinced that 2 of these children are my sisters outside no 118..

now we turn to the right hand side of the pic..the factory you see would be southalls and next to that you can see a gap..this is where the villa tavern once stood and the ground was turned into a car park..pub demolished early  60s...you can see them both together in a previous pic posted...just a bit further down i can just make out a facing wall in white..this is where the vine inn was..demolished 1978..i would think that if your dad liked a drink he would almost certainly have visited both of these pubs...

pic 2..this lady is standing outside no 109..

pic 3..taken outside no 133 if memory serves me right..this was taken in 1937 during the coronation celebrations for king george V1

pic 4...a close up shot of the little green shop seen in pic 1..this time with a couple of lads playing...

everything you see in all 4 pics no longer remain...

potblack

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2012, 05:30:49 PM »
More great photos Phil.  Thanks for the information lyn.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2012, 06:12:18 PM »
potblack

Please do not keep thanking me for these photos, I am only posting them for Lyn and they are not from my collection I only post them for Lyn because she has a little difficulty in posting to this forum. So your thanks should be directed to her.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

astoness

« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2012, 07:36:42 AM »
hi folks..still looking for any new pics of villa st...would love to see them...

lyn

bobby harper

« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2012, 11:09:51 PM »
hi everyone. delighted to be in a forum with fellow villa streeters. i was born in 1946 in that house where the car is standing outside. ( house no. 105 )  my name is bobby harper and im one of nine children. great memories, great times. i recently met up with a lovely lady who used to live opposite the vine. this was after 55 years, we were only children last time we saw each other. her brother david  was a great pal to me. wonderful pics, im staggererd. hope someone wants to talk to me?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2012, 08:41:25 AM »
Hi Bobby

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure lyn (Astoness) might remember you. Although a little younger than yourself she mentions the Vine many times in her writings.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

bobby harper

« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2012, 02:23:46 PM »
Hi Phil, thanks for the welcome. i hope to be a regular on the forum, its inspired me no end. Hope lyn picks up the message, sounds like theres a lot to talk about? ....... I lived in villa street for about 15/16 years and can remember neighbours, families, houses, factories, loads of stuff really, including the surrounding areas. So lets chat.

astoness

« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2012, 02:51:24 PM »
hi bobby..ive picked up the message lol...great to speak to someone else from villa st...as you may have read i moved into 118 in 1958 aged 5 and left there in 1972 to if my sums are correct we must have been living there at the same time although i am sorry i dont recall your name...when you say you lived in the house where the car is parked are you on about the car with the L plate on it ?? i only ask as that side of the road is the even numbers where i lived and you lived at no 105 which would be on the other side of the road...

lyn :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy