Author Topic: villa street hockley  (Read 65091 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: villa street hockley
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2011, 10:20:22 AM »
Right I've had a word with Lyn and she has said I can put up some of her photos of Villa Street and Nursery Rd for her. She has said she will try to look out some more in the meantime. I will makr a start with these ones of Villa Rd.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2011, 10:23:05 AM »
Here are a few more, I'll be back shortly with Nursery Rd. Perhaps Lyn might come on later and give some explanation to these photos as they are out of my areas.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

dogsbody

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2011, 09:16:56 PM »
Phil,
Thankyou so much for the photos. I will have a few more memories when I have finished teasing them out of my mum!
I have list of householders for the whole street (1950's) althought there are some missing because they may not have been declared a 'householder'.
Mr. and Mrs. Murphy's shop was hardware and not grocery as I had said previously (she used to ply me with sweets nonehteless!) I think we all used her for emergency phone calls as few others had one at the time of course.
Can I post this as an attachment? I will do a simple map showing some landmarks as I remember them - others may be able to add to it too.  I should have a photo or two but cannot seem to find instructions for attaching, perhaps it's only admin that can do it?
Thanks,
David

vauxonion

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2011, 09:51:43 PM »
1 scan photo into a folder on your computer then click on "Additional Options"follow the instructions from there. Dek

astoness

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2011, 06:46:10 AM »
thanks phil...

pic 1 and 2 looking towards the junction with nursery road.
pic 3 is taken on the opposite side of the road again not far from the junction of nursery road where the crown inn stood

the vine inn was at no 127 if memory serves me right and i lived just accross from here at 118..demolished 1978

the villa tavern was a few doors up at 137 and stood next to southalls factory..demolished early 60s..

david i would love to hear of your moms memories and see any photos you may have..

phl i will email you some more pics..

lyn

astoness

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2011, 06:54:01 AM »
david ive just read where you lived if it was back of 88 then pic one must surely show the entrance to your house...it would have been just before nursery road..im sure there was a little sweet shop near where we used to get our liqourice roots from and just a couple of doors up was the post office on the corner...dont think our paths would have crossed though as i moved into 118 in 1958...

lyn

astoness

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2011, 07:01:28 AM »
me again david...my dad moved into the maisonettes next to the canal as a young boy..he is 83 on sunday..he lived in the upstairs flat right next to the canal..think it was number 51b..before that he lived in hunters road but they had to move out owing the the water damage when the canal flooded..i also attended farm st school and have a pic of it also 3 pics of the inside of the school..if you would like to see those as well just let me know and i will email them to phil to post for me...great to meet someone from the old end..

lyn

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2011, 09:50:11 AM »
Hi David,

It's Lyn you must thank for these photos not me, I'm only posting them because she has difficulty in uploading photos to this forum. She has asked me to post this section of OS map so that locations may be explained better.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2011, 11:02:28 AM »
A few more of Lyns photos, this time of Nursery Rd.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2011, 11:03:37 AM »
I'll just finish off with these.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

potblack

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2011, 09:52:25 PM »
Thanks Lyn and Phil for the photos and map.
I am having difficulty reading the house nos on the map.
Can you please tell me if no 3/24 is featured?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy