Author Topic: villa street hockley  (Read 65078 times)

wales

villa street hockley
« on: April 20, 2008, 05:26:02 PM »
hi all. this is my first post. hope i am doing it correctly. can anyone out there help me. i am searching for any photos of villa st hockley prior to its demolision in the 70s. i lived at num 118 from 1958 till 1972 but photos seem to be virtually non existant. there was also a pub called the vine inn. i lived just about oppostite that. its funny how we wish we had taken more of an interest in history when we were young and taken more pics of where we grew up. many thanks in advance.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: villa street hockley
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 08:01:10 PM »
Hi Wales

welcome to Birmingham forum,  I think you will find several of those who post here also post on BHWR, so like myself they will know of your search for information on this PH.

I don't think you will have much luck here either as most of the posters here are scattered around the world, but you never know and as they say if you don't try you will never succeed.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

wales

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 08:10:14 PM »
thanks phil. i shall not give up my quest. best wishes wales

reginaldcook

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 01:27:19 AM »
Hello Wales! like you i'm new to this, and i hope i'm doing this right. I too am looking for photos of Villa street! Having lived and worked there for several years. I worked at B W motors for a couple of years before going across the road to Edwards Bros Windscreen services. from 1970 to 1976. I lived in the big old house behind the garage 198 Villa st. had many happy times there and 1 very sad one.To have a picture of the old place would have great value to me.

wales

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 09:17:43 AM »
hi reginald. nice to hear from someone from the old end. so you must have lived behind padmores garage. ive got a photo of that and of the factories a bit further down. what years were you living and working in villa street and what number did you live at. do you remember the vine pub. i lived more or less opostite. dad used to play darts for them. im searching for photos of my house which was 118. well anything realy from the veg shop on the corner upwards. ive also got photos of the bottom end of villa street from the post office going down towards farm st. best wishes wales

wales

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 09:29:09 AM »
ps reginald. i have just looked at the photo i have of padmores garage and behind it i can see the tops of 2 chimneys. must be your house if you lived right behind. wales

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 11:02:54 AM »
Hi Reginald or is it Reg

welcome to the forum, I'm sure you and Wales will have many memories to share. In the meantime I have found these two photo's of Villa Street you may or may not have.  Wales I am still looking for that elusive one of the Villa Tavern, but no luck as of yet.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

wales

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 12:19:45 PM »
hi phil. were the heck did you get the one of the street. this is brilliant. ive got the other one. i lived on the right just about where the car is. cant wait to show the family this one. by the way the pub i am looking for is not the villa tavern its the vine inn it was just about opposite my house. many many thanks. your a star. wales

wales

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 01:24:18 PM »
hi all. i dont know if i have done something wrong here but i seem to have lost page 2 on this thread. wales

wales

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 01:26:16 PM »
its ok got it back. i need to work out what i am doing wrong. wales

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 01:40:59 PM »
Wales

I do know it is the Vine Inn you are looking for, I must have been having a senior moment. The trouble is I have got that many pubs floating round in my head all the time.

As for the photo's, as to where I got it from I really don't know. The trouble is I have been collecting them for years and I still have not sorted them out or used a filing system yet.  I have started to keep a record of where I source them from. Who knows if you ask me the same question in five years time I may be able to answer.

If I come across any more I will let you have a copy.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy