Author Topic: villa street hockley  (Read 65075 times)

Ren

Re: villa street hockley
« Reply #187 on: March 09, 2017, 03:14:22 PM »
thanks phil for posting the last 4 pics for me..

pic 1...a long shot of villa st looking towards nursery road..potblack now that we have established that your parents were indeed at 3/124 in the 30s here is a bit of info for you on this pic..on the left next to the little green shop the white building was copes pearl button makers..if you carry on down on the left the entry leading to the 3/124 would have been just about where the last car is parked..carry on a tad further down and you can see young children out playing..im totally convinced that 2 of these children are my sisters outside no 118..

now we turn to the right hand side of the pic..the factory you see would be southalls and next to that you can see a gap..this is where the villa tavern once stood and the ground was turned into a car park..pub demolished early  60s...you can see them both together in a previous pic posted...just a bit further down i can just make out a facing wall in white..this is where the vine inn was..demolished 1978..i would think that if your dad liked a drink he would almost certainly have visited both of these pubs...

pic 2..this lady is standing outside no 109..

pic 3..taken outside no 133 if memory serves me right..this was taken in 1937 during the coronation celebrations for king george V1

pic 4...a close up shot of the little green shop seen in pic 1..this time with a couple of lads playing...

everything you see in all 4 pics no longer remain...

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #188 on: March 09, 2017, 03:16:52 PM »
Hi Ren

Welcome to the forum, do you have a question for Astoness (Lyn) if so I can contact her and ask her for you.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

astoness

« Reply #189 on: March 09, 2017, 04:28:22 PM »
hi ren welcome to the forum...do you have an interest in villa st ?? happy to help if i can

lyn

Merchant family86

« Reply #190 on: May 02, 2017, 12:12:37 PM »
Hiya guys/girls this is my first post as Ive just been talking to my father Norman merchant don't no if this name rings any bells as  his used to live in this area as a young boy his father was George merchant and Vera was George's wife with kids Norman Lynn Christine John and David and maurine merchant I'll will try to get more info at a later date but would b great just to hear from somebody that may no  or used to no our family at that time and share some old stories many thanks

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #191 on: May 02, 2017, 01:20:07 PM »
Hiya guys/girls this is my first post as Ive just been talking to my father Norman merchant don't no if this name rings any bells as  his used to live in this area as a young boy his father was George merchant and Vera was George's wife with kids Norman Lynn Christine John and David and maurine merchant I'll will try to get more info at a later date but would b great just to hear from somebody that may no  or used to no our family at that time and share some old stories many thanks

Hi Merchant Family,

Welcome to you, our ex resident of Villa Street, Hockley is Astoness  (Lyn) I have no doubt that of anybody remembers your family it will be her. She looks in periodically, but if she hasn't answered in a couple of days I will contact her for you.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

astoness

« Reply #192 on: May 03, 2017, 09:47:44 PM »
hi merchant family and yes i do remember your dad norman in fact your dads name came up recently as we are getting up an old end meet up this summer and we are trying to contact as many people as we can...he may remember my brother mark harrington as i think he used to knock about with your dad or his brother david  ..we lived at no 118 villa st..cant quite remember the exact address your dad was at...maybe you could ask him...also ask him if he remembers the moorhouses...the beeches...the doyles and the porters..steven rivers..steven stone all from villa street also the crown pub..the vine..the white swan the queens head the angel the waterloo..all within walking or staggering distance O0

all the best

lyn

astoness

« Reply #193 on: August 16, 2017, 07:18:56 AM »
old end reunion set for 2nd sept.. after months of research i have now located many old neighbours and friends from villa st and the immediate surrounding streets....a lot of us have not seen each other for over 50 years so excitement is now mounting up... this reunion will  also be featured in carl chinns brummagem mag...if anyone is interested in joining us please contact me via private message for the details.. O0  ps i will of course post a few piccies of the event on this thread :D

lyn

from 118 villa st

shirfar

« Reply #194 on: November 17, 2017, 11:52:54 AM »
Hel lo Please can anyone tell me where I might be able to get street map of Villa street in 1946 - I lived at no 10 which appears to now have new flats etc when I go to Street View. I can recall railway sleepers propping up the row of houses. Thanks

mikejee

« Reply #195 on: November 17, 2017, 07:47:02 PM »
The size restrictions on the site would not enable a full map of villa st with numbering, but below is the lower end , with no 10 , on it, c 1950

shirfar

« Reply #196 on: November 24, 2017, 01:23:31 PM »
Thankyou very much Mikejee for map which I have managed to print off. Please could you let me know where I could get a bigger area and what sort of map it was. I have only one friend still living in Edgbaston now so do come up to visit once a year so if there is some office I wo uld need to go to I could incorporate it in visit. 

townie

« Reply #197 on: November 24, 2017, 04:22:02 PM »

old end reunion set for 2nd sept.. after months of research i have now located many old neighbours and friends from villa st and the immediate surrounding streets....a lot of us have not seen each other for over 50 years so excitement is now mounting up... this reunion will  also be featured in carl chinns brummagem mag...if anyone is interested in joining us please contact me via private message for the details.. O0  ps i will of course post a few piccies of the event on this thread :D

lyn

from 118 villa st

astoness How did your reunion go? Cant wait to see the photos. O0
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy