Author Topic: villa street hockley  (Read 65073 times)

mikejee

Re: villa street hockley
« Reply #198 on: November 24, 2017, 11:12:10 PM »
Shirfar[/size]
The map came from the old Maps site (https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html ). It was the 1:1250  OS map of c 1955 (in which many of the houses are numbered). To view it at that magnification ou hav eto hav ea subscription.You can also purchase areas, though it is very  expensive. The maps are also available to look at at the local studies library in Birmingham, though, although thye have coin photocopiers, not sure how easy it would be to copy them, because of the size.
Would have put a larger area on, but the size restrictions of the site prevents that at that resolution fora large area
Mike

shirfar

« Reply #199 on: November 25, 2017, 11:03:09 PM »
Again thankyou so much for info. Will be in Bham after Christmas and will try look at maps then. Tonight I have just read through this site from the beginning ..it really is good isn't it?  I am also going to try e rolls for more info. Would like to see pics of re union held in September but cant seem to find them. Thanks again

Peg Monkey

« Reply #200 on: July 06, 2018, 12:25:36 PM »
HELP!
I've lost the facility to edit previous postings!
Am I the only one, or is it a wider problem?
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #201 on: July 08, 2018, 10:27:05 PM »
The 1st A Company, The Boys' Brigade (The oldest company in Birmingham) was originally based at Harry Lucas School, can anyone confirm/correct the company was linked to St Saviours Church?
The company is now based at The Peoples' Chapel, Gt King St.
Peg.

astoness

« Reply #202 on: July 09, 2018, 12:40:44 PM »
depending on how far back you are going i have it on good authority that the boys 1st brigade was based at the welsh chapel in wheeler st...behind it was a 3 story building where the boys life brigade juniors met and also sunday schools .when the chapel was demolished they moved to the peoples chapel gks..for some years the girls brigade used to meet at smith st school...not saying harry lucas had nothing to do with the BB 1st it is possible they met there sometimes but there were a lot of other companies around.. i will ask my brother who was in the brigade and also attending harry lucas...cant say about other years but there was no BB connection with saviours in the 60s...

Peg Monkey

« Reply #203 on: July 14, 2018, 07:49:15 PM »
Thanks for the info', Lyn.
My original post re Harry Lucas and 1stA BB was based on my recollections from a school friendship at Harry Lucas, I'm pretty sure the classmate in question (he was a big lad) was the base drummer at that time with the 1stA's fantastic band, which I believe used HLS for band practice, of course all of this is shrouded by the sands of time (In fact 52 years of time). I've tried to double check with the guy in question but so far my efforts have been fruitless.
Anyway, on the basis the 1stA had no connection with St Saviours further postings on the Villa St thread would seem inappropriate, but I would be interested to know the facts (whatever they turn out to be) as this particular BB Company has significant historical importance in relation to Birmingham and Hockley in particular.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #204 on: October 07, 2018, 09:32:41 PM »
Thanks for the info', Lyn.
My original post re Harry Lucas and 1stA BB was based on my recollections from a school friendship at Harry Lucas, I'm pretty sure the classmate in question (he was a big lad) was the base drummer at that time with the 1stA's fantastic band, which I believe used HLS for band practice, of course all of this is shrouded by the sands of time (In fact 52 years of time). I've tried to double check with the guy in question but so far my efforts have been fruitless.
Anyway, on the basis the 1stA had no connection with St Saviours further postings on the Villa St thread would seem inappropriate, but I would be interested to know the facts (whatever they turn out to be) as this particular BB Company has significant historical importance in relation to Birmingham and Hockley in particular.
Peg.

Note for Astoness Lyn re link between 1stA Company The Boys' Brigade and Harry Lucas School. I'm just about to post some info' on the Harry Lucas School Thread as it is more on topic there.
Peg.
Link: http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12554.msg668175#msg668175

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy