Author Topic: xmas market  (Read 15094 times)

astoness

Re: xmas market
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2017, 08:57:02 AM »
one thats not german roy ;D

JudithM

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 02:01:53 PM »
often thought to myself why cant we have a traditional english market for a change....

There is usually the Craft Market, which is usually up at by the Museum/back of the Town Hall & spreads onto Centenary Square.  However, with all the redevelopment going on on those sites it's taken a break this year. 
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Scipio

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2017, 08:43:04 PM »

i have been to the german market about 3 times and i do like the atmosphere it creates ie the sights..sounds and smells but as already said it is the same thing every year...not much change and very expensive and of course a little haven for pickpockets...often thought to myself why cant we have a traditional english market for a change....

I agree with you Lyn , home grown produce from local farms cheeses beers  crafts etc , this has often been mentioned by Rick Stein on
his programme but I think that in the past it might have contravened EU regulations , pity the same rules didn't apply likewise in France, Italy etc 
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

astoness

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2017, 09:00:18 PM »
never know...we may get an english christmas market one day but i wont hold my breath :(

lyn

JudithM

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2017, 01:31:29 PM »
As I keep saying.  We normally do have an 'English' market along with the German one.  It's not there this year due to the redevelopment works around the Paradise Circus/Centenary Square area, but has been there for many years & should be back next year (if they ever finish the redevelopment!), selling traditional British fares - even cheeses & chutneys & meats & beers.....

I guess it doesn't suit the anti-EU mood to actually read & absorb this information.  Much better to keep saying the Europeans are taking over all our traditions.....

/rant

astoness

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2017, 04:58:59 PM »
thanks judith...its a shame the english part had to go this year..not surprised though >:(

JudithM

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2017, 01:35:00 PM »
I think the whole thing about it being a German market rather than an English/British one was for the 'novelty' value - have a bit of the traditional German Christmas market experience without having to travel (although my one brother has been to the big market in Munster & says the Birmingham one is not a patch on it).

Over the years it's just not new & different anymore.  I suppose for people going for the first time it's great, but after a couple of years & you see that it's all the same stalls selling exactly the same things each year it's just got a little tired.

It is a shame the Craft Market isn't here as it's possibly the best bit.  Hopefully, the Paradise redevelopment won't run too long now & it'll be back next year.

astoness

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2017, 10:07:28 AM »
the city centre is in utter chaos due to the redevolpments and the metro line works...its bad enough trying to get around on foot

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news/regional-affairs/christmas-shopping-birmingham-roadworks-taxi-13986547

Scipio

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2017, 10:23:18 AM »

the city centre is in utter chaos due to the redevolpments and the metro line works...its bad enough trying to get around on foot

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news/regional-affairs/christmas-shopping-birmingham-roadworks-taxi-13986547

Lyn it would be know good me going then if I couldn't get in The Shakespeare on Summer Row . I'm just not interested in the market
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

astoness

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2017, 12:34:32 PM »
john you could cop the no 8...changed route a tad but it now goes up vyse st does a right at warstone lane then a left onto icknield st...get off at spring hill libary and walk up to the shakespeare

lyn

JudithM

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2017, 01:14:48 PM »
I walked through the market on the way home on Monday.  It was somewhat lack lustre.  A few people at work have said the same thing, it lacks a festive spirit, it's all very downbeat.  Even the stall I always go to to get a little glass animal only had about half the stuff that's usually there. 

Don't know why it's like that, but it all feels like no one's really bothered.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy