Author Topic: Petrol Garages and Badges - Rewards  (Read 5422 times)

countrylad

Petrol Garages and Badges - Rewards
« on: November 30, 2017, 05:54:19 PM »
A lot of the old petrol garages are gone now, they were small concerns, some with the pipes from the pumps swinging out over the pavement.

One thing that does stick in my mind was plaguing my old dad to go to certain garages to collect the petrol badges or other types of incentives.

Some that I remember  were the badges from the the JET petrol garages, Mobile did a set of psychedelic mugs in the early 70's collect your tokens, 6 tokens = 1 mug and 6 mugs to the set.

There were Tiger Tails and stickers from Esso, The History of Flight coins, does anyone remember the brand of petrol?

Then the Green Shield stamps, took you ages (unless you knew someone at the garage) to get a set of glasses or a bathroom scales. What did you get with the stamps?

Anyone remember the petrol ration books that were given out in the 70's fuel crises? I think they were from just after the War, they had 40's of 50's dates on them.     

ironside

Re: Petrol Garages and Badges - Rewards
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 09:57:39 PM »
Remember some of them Countrylad, my last collection was Mobil Points or Total, I put six cards, £5 each, in an envelope, but thinking they weren't very secure decided to get a Jiffy bag. My wife in the meantime, being helpful, posted them, the company received an empty envelope; I never bothered again. I still have those ration books, I will dig them out.

countrylad

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 10:20:58 PM »
Remember some of them Countrylad, my last collection was Mobil Points or Total, I put six cards, £5 each, in an envelope, but thinking they weren't very secure decided to get a Jiffy bag. My wife in the meantime, being helpful, posted them, the company received an empty envelope; I never bothered again. I still have those ration books, I will dig them out.
I think the ration books were changing hands for a few quid at the time. Just speculation, as they were never needed.  O0

frederick

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 10:26:08 AM »
We collected the gree shield stamps. We had a black and decker electric drill that as gone burned out. We also had an electric 2kw fan heater I still have and us it.    O0
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

countrylad

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 03:39:23 PM »
Esso did a set of tin foil football club badges in 1971. You had to spend so much to get a badge sealed in a paper packet. There was also a collectors card to stick them on.

vamann

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 06:57:56 PM »
Mighty mugs from Shell, mincepies at Christmas, got fed up eating the left overs that no one wanted and of course the Shell make money where you had to match the halves of the coupons.  Friend of mine acquired a full box of these coupons, we spent hours opening them and never got one match.

countrylad

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 07:38:16 PM »
Mighty mugs from Shell, mincepies at Christmas, got fed up eating the left overs that no one wanted and of course the Shell make money where you had to match the halves of the coupons.  Friend of mine acquired a full box of these coupons, we spent hours opening them and never got one match.
Hello vamann, was it shell that did the veteran cars? I think you collected so many coupons and got model vintage car. The big one was the chance to win a real veteran car, apparently there was a sort if Golden ticket that the lucky winner may pick up by chance.

vamann

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 09:28:12 AM »
Hello countrylad  Can never remember Shell having this giveaway only the makemoney in the middle sixties and again in the seventies plus the mighty mugs etc.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 09:43:46 AM »
When I was a Lorry driver used to look for MOBIL garages to fill up,had a good collection of BORAGIO cars saving the vouchers
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 10:15:29 AM »

put a tiger in your tank

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

vamann

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 09:39:18 AM »
Seeing the Tigers tail reminds me of the time my friend and I went on a breakdown to Bridgewater where one of our coaches needed recovering.  We parked up overnight on an Esso forcourt where the petrol pumps had plastic tigers heads slid over the globe.  My friend decided he would remove one of these plastic covers, we then drove all of the way back home on the M5 with my friend wearing the tigers head, needless to say we received some strange looks especially with a coach on the back of our breakdown truck.  No excuses but we were both only 19 at the time and still had a lot of growing up to do.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy