Author Topic: Petrol Garages and Badges - Rewards  (Read 5440 times)

ray wilson

Re: Petrol Garages and Badges - Rewards
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 03:46:34 PM »

I remember annoying my dad to get his petrol at the garage that gave away false stick on bullet holes you stuck on the windows(cool)  8) . And the world cup football coins,and yes I had to get a petrol ration book by showing my log book for my moped at the post office,These books were printed for the Suez conflict in the early 50's and thankfully never needed           Regards Ray O0

ironside

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 07:33:16 PM »
This is the petrol ration book from the early 1970's if it will post.

townie

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 08:07:29 PM »
I was driving around in the early 70s but I don't remember any petrol ration books.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

robx52

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 08:14:32 PM »
The plastic bullet hole stickers were from Regent garages

ironside

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 06:47:09 AM »
The ration books were issued in response to 1973 Arab/ Israeli war. The OPEC countries led by Saudi Arabia imposed an oil embargo on countries that supported Israel. The cost of raw oil quadrupled, the motorist already paying a heavy tax didn't notice the increase as much as say oil power generation whose costs were quadrupled, this had an adverse effect on inflation and the world economy.

townie

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 08:33:52 AM »
Was these ration books issued to the average joe blogs or were they for transport company's. I get the OPEC issue, don't get the ration books for motor car.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

JudithM

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 01:14:56 PM »
I remember the Green Shield stamps.  I remember them being put into a book & when it was full there was a shop in Solihull where you could go & spend them.  You'd wait for your goods to come up on a conveyor belt - like Argos now. In fact. I think the shop in Solihull did become Argos later on.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Boz

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 01:42:42 PM »
Was these ration books issued to the average joe blogs or were they for transport company's. I get the OPEC issue, don't get the ration books for motor car.

I had some of these ration books. If I recall correctly, it was because I needed a car for my work and I needed to provide proof of my requirements from my employer. I still have them somewhere with other bygone bits and pieces.

frederick

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 04:09:16 PM »
Townie,
I don't remember having a petrol ration book I don't think I had one.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

ironside

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 07:17:43 PM »
            I was just an ordinary Joe, I'm not 100% sure but I think I collected my book from the post office and having the vehicle log book stamped. The vehicle engine capacity was on the front of the book. The petrol allowance would have been adjusted to suit the coupons as required. They were never used, but filling stations were running out of fuel. I worked for an haulage company, part time, if a lorry was going beyond its range it would carry cans of fuel to ensure it would get back.
            I'm fairly sure my uncle used petrol coupons to fill up during the Suez crisis, when I was with him. I read in the paper, at that time, that a company was sending two lorries out to deliver goods then one would tow the other back to save fuel.

ironside

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2017, 07:32:31 PM »
And I recall a bloke with several filling stations, in Birmingham, travelling to Saudi and getting an audience with the king. He told him how the petrol shortage was affecting his business. He said, on TV, that the king seemed a sincere person, the king said oil was too valuable a commodity to be just burned up along the motorways.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy