Author Topic: Petrol Garages and Badges - Rewards  (Read 5421 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: Petrol Garages and Badges - Rewards
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2017, 07:09:33 PM »
Frederick my B in L worked for many years up the Stratford Rd for Rover Exp for quite a few years when that closed he went to B L at Common lane on the van side but did quite a lot at Mira at Nuneaton(Motor Ind Research ) ,had a lot to do with BL and Fiat  to try and build a new 30cwt van.then he retired 4years ago,so never worked at C Brom.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2017, 07:34:49 PM »
Came to B,ham the weekend,,coming back round the M25 got into traffic accident just before the M12 ,on radio said massive 6mile traffic jam,after 2hrs not moved so managed to get on hard shoulder and go down M12 into London and under the Blackwall tunnel.Took us from 1oclock till 7-15 to get home  Horrendous
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

countrylad

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2017, 08:19:45 PM »
Anyone remember the petrol garage in Westley Rd, Acocks Green. Just up from the village. It opened around the same time as the bowling Alley, I think it was in front of it. The garage was different than most as I remember the petrol pipes came down from the ceiling of the canopy. On the floor as you drove in, there were three or four different coloured circles. You had to park in one of these to be in the right place to fill up. Not sure if there is still a garage on the site. It would be great to see a picture of it again. Built early 60's  O0

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2017, 08:55:32 PM »

would this be the one?
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

countrylad

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2017, 11:28:22 PM »

would this be the one?
Roy, that looks like it. It must have been one of the first self serve stations. I just remember the hoses coming down, like the Dove from above. Was only a nipper at the time

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2017, 01:13:24 PM »
Countrylad

Do you mean the one next door to the pub that used to be the New Inns and is now a tyre sales depot or the one further up that is now a Halfords Autocentre? Because they are both stil there but no longer do petrol sales.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

robx52

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2017, 04:36:04 PM »
I think C L means the one by the pub (now called the inn on the green) When it first opened it claimed to be Britains first pumpless pertol station, you had to wait to be served by a forcourt attendant.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2017, 05:29:55 PM »
it looks like the cost of fuel was £1.50 a gall so how long ago was that?
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

robx52

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2017, 05:40:08 PM »
30p a litre, them were the days. I remember the garage, think it was around the mid 70s.

countrylad

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2017, 09:52:18 PM »
Countrylad

Do you mean the one next door to the pub that used to be the New Inns and is now a tyre sales depot or the one further up that is now a Halfords Autocentre? Because they are both stil there but no longer do petrol sales.
Phil, I looked on google the other night, to try and get my bearings, but no good. The key landmark for me was the Bowling Alley. It was either in front of the bowling alley or next to it. Early 60's. It was quite a way up from New Inn.

Funny thing is was planning to get to Brum yesterday, to do the wreaths on he family graves, part of the plan was to visit the village to get my bearings. Decided against due to weather.  O0

countrylad

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2017, 09:55:19 PM »
I think C L means the one by the pub (now called the inn on the green) When it first opened it claimed to be Britains first pumpless pertol station, you had to wait to be served by a forcourt attendant.
You could be right on this. There was a big space that you drove into. As I say the hoses came down from the canopy ceiling. It felt almost Space Age in design. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy