Author Topic: What Have You Achieved This Year  (Read 3811 times)

Scipio

Re: What Have You Achieved This Year
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 08:41:30 PM »

It's been over a year since I retired. I thought I would have loads of time to do loads of things that have needed doing for some time. Thing is I don't know where he time has gone, I'm always doing something. Some achievements: lost two stone in weight and it is staying off. Rebuilt, brakes, suspension, replaced rear cross member, exhaust, clutch and serviced my 20 year old Land Rover and got through MOT.

Spent two months lambing with my son on the farm and for the first time raised 7 orphaned lambs ( I've kept two as pets, couldn't let them all go) Finished painting the barn roof (started about two years ago). Put 40 ton of stone on the track to my place (needed doing for years) and will do another section next year.

Put up post and rail fence to keep dog in garden (needed doing for years)

And most important after working away for 17 years I am getting to see more of my family and old friends, we are so much older now. But still tinkering with old machinery and tractors  O0

You want to get your finger out Countrylad ha ha , seriously well done and carry on the good work .2018 is going to be my year after
sitting around for nearly 5 months waiting for the sale/purchase of houses to go through , we moved here in September . I've acquired
an allotment late Sept . Turned a bit of the plot over , anxiously waiting to get the rest done . Seriously though good on you with the work,keep it up
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

countrylad

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 07:08:21 PM »

You want to get your finger out Countrylad ha ha , seriously well done and carry on the good work .2018 is going to be my year after
sitting around for nearly 5 months waiting for the sale/purchase of houses to go through , we moved here in September . I've acquired
an allotment late Sept . Turned a bit of the plot over , anxiously waiting to get the rest done . Seriously though good on you with the work,keep it up
I think one of my challenges next year will be turning part of a field into a garden. I had a good veg garden in my 20's then work took over. As the growing season is so short up here, I'm thinking of putting a polly tunnel up, to help get things off to a good start.

Scipio

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 08:54:34 PM »

I think one of my challenges next year will be turning part of a field into a garden. I had a good veg garden in my 20's then work took over. As the growing season is so short up here, I'm thinking of putting a polly tunnel up, to help get things off to a good start.

It certainly will Countrylad ,plus the added bonus you can probably grow extra crops out of season. What size are you talking about and what price are they, I'd be interested to know . Are you renting the plot you're thinking of converting, I must confess though we've started turning my allotment over it might just as well be a field ,It looks endless . I'll give you a shout when it's all planted up next year.
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 11:38:51 PM »
Scipio plant plenty of peas, beans onions potatoes these will see you through the winter ,freeze the peas and beans and store the onions and potatoes ,sprouts are good and collis.Dont forget the rhubarb and blackberries.Best of luck hope you crop well
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Scipio

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2017, 09:44:34 AM »

Scipio plant plenty of peas, beans onions potatoes these will see you through the winter ,freeze the peas and beans and store the onions and potatoes ,sprouts are good and collis.Dont forget the rhubarb and blackberries.Best of luck hope you crop well

Edmund sorry for the delay , only just noticed your post , the only things I haven't got of the above is rhubarb and the blackberries
So I'll certainly be digging for victory 2018 Thank you
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2017, 03:10:10 PM »
Do yourself a couple of rhubarb or blackberry crumbles delicious .Always had the freezer full when we had an allotment ,hard work but very enjoyable,best of luck mate O0
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

jamesm

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2017, 05:20:37 PM »

Edmund sorry for the delay , only just noticed your post , the only things I haven't got of the above is rhubarb and the blackberries
So I'll certainly be digging for victory 2018 Thank you
Scipio, received my rhubarb crowns last week from seed merchants. They should have arrived in November but due to demand didn't arrive until last week. Unfortunately the ground's been too hard to dig up here in County Durham and so I'm patiently waiting for a temporary rise in temperature so I can get them planted. Apparently winter planting for rhubarb is recommended.

countrylad

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2017, 05:22:07 PM »

It certainly will Countrylad ,plus the added bonus you can probably grow extra crops out of season. What size are you talking about and what price are they, I'd be interested to know . Are you renting the plot you're thinking of converting, I must confess though we've started turning my allotment over it might just as well be a field ,It looks endless . I'll give you a shout when it's all planted up next year.
Hi Scipio, not sure what Polly-tunnel size will be, I want it big enough that I'm not disappointed at lack of space and don't want it to be a chore. Prices range from about £150 to whatever you want to pay for quality. The plot is mine. I had veg on it about 30 years ago. Then got busy with my job so put it back to grass. Will let you know when I have decided which way i'm going. O0 [size=78%]     [/size]

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy