Author Topic: Fatal Accident In Birmingham  (Read 10173 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Fatal Accident In Birmingham
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2017, 05:26:02 PM »
Come on Roy. the social media sites have to take their share of the blame. They simply should not allow some things to be posted, I'm sure you, Chris or myself would not allow anything that is outside the bounds of common decency to be posted on this site. I'm sure if they wanted to these larger sites could do the same.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2017, 08:40:06 PM »

Come on Roy. the social media sites have to take their share of the blame. They simply should not allow some things to be posted, I'm sure you, Chris or myself would not allow anything that is outside the bounds of common decency to be posted on this site. I'm sure if they wanted to these larger sites could do the same.

Hear hear Phil I agree with you 100% , these media sites ought to draw the reins in on things like this, along with the terrorism aspect
that seems to be prevalent in this country. Unfortunately certain people have a uncanny appetite almost vampiric to look at things like this . Pity they hadn't got the same enthusiasm for reporting wrongdoing on the net when they see it, I'm only glad that this is the one of two sites about Brum that I'm on , not interested whatsoever in Facebook or anything like that .

If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2017, 09:14:47 PM »

phil we are a small forum and we are nothing like face book or twitter they have millions of member I'm not saying its impossible to mod there sites but I'm sure it would take 100s or 1000s to check each post that's made on a day to day basis the only way I should think is to have a report post set up and then its down to the folk on the sites to reports posts and get them removed   
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2017, 09:46:29 PM »
Roy

With the millions of dollars that Facebook is earning you would think the technology would be availble for the software to remove unwanted posts automatically like our robot censor but a little more sophisticated.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Coastal

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2017, 09:59:51 PM »
If people were told when joining these sites (and regularly reminded) that anyone who posts offensive or upsetting photos would have their accounts deleted and be banned, some might think twice.
Do unto others before they do unto you.

countrylad

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2017, 10:57:30 AM »
whilst I agree with banning people that post this stuff and if needed have technology that would remove such images the problem is much deeper in society. There does seem to be a lack of empathy for those involved in trauma and for their friends and relatives.

Not too many years ago if there was a 'accident' folks would run to help and support until the emergency services arrived. You would get the onlookers but back then most would see what was happening and walk on. Many would say what a terrible thing, what about the family etc. Now it's reach for your phone (not to ring the emergency services) but to take photos and send them to you mates.

Worries me and makes me very sad. I know our police have enough to do. However I feel anyone taking photos at these events with out a legitimate reason should be arrested and charged with voyeurism. At lot of work, I admit! But we have to change this sick behavior and eventually that message may get through to the majority. The alternative is to teach empathy, first of all though these folks need self respect before you get on to empathy. I think the stick is better than the carrot in these circumstances!   

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2017, 11:12:26 AM »
[font=] I think the stick is better than the carrot in these circumstances!    [/font][font=&amp]
c/l should we need to have the stick and the carrot its a bit like the chap standing on a bridge saying hes going to jump and the folk below egging him on jump jump jump that is the way we have gone  [font=&amp]
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

countrylad

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2017, 03:25:54 PM »
[font=] I think the stick is better than the carrot in these circumstances!    [/font][font=&amp]
 c/l should we need to have the stick and the carrot its a bit like the chap standing on a bridge saying hes going to jump and the folk below egging him on jump jump jump that is the way we have gone  [font=&amp]
Roy, unfortunately some have moved away from compassion. As strong as any of us/they may feel, there is a very fine line between  mental well-being and mental illness for all of us.

I'm sure all of those that were egging the poor chap on, had their phones at the ready (or were already videoing). But what a shock if he had of jumped and one of those egging him on found out it was their child, sibling or a good friend.

Scipio

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2017, 08:34:41 PM »

While I do agree with media sites cleaning up their act with posts and pics they receive. We must appreciate that there is a demand for
such vile material. Back in the late 60's / early 70's I watched a series titled The Phillpot File , one particular story that relates to this
thread was Trevor Phillpot being with a platoon of the guards  from Britain during  the troubles in Northern Ireland. The CO told TP that if one of the soldiers got killed on duty while over there he would warrant one inch of space in the newspaper. If one of these guards while in full battledress fainted while on parade at Trooping the Colour he would command the entire front page. Doesn't that tell you something about us human beings .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2017, 11:31:16 PM »
Times have changed so much,what will it be like in another 20 years time I dread to think
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Coastal

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2017, 12:17:34 AM »
Times have changed so much,what will it be like in another 20 years time I dread to think

I feel exactly the same, decency, manners, respect for others, to name just a few things that appear to be getting rarer, but it seems odd in these days of PC, there doesn't seem to be any balance any more.
You don't have to be nice to anyone, as long as you don't comment on, gender, religion, colour, age etc etc. 
Do unto others before they do unto you.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy