Author Topic: Just an old Brummy from Downunder  (Read 1803 times)

moongalba

Just an old Brummy from Downunder
« on: December 21, 2017, 09:28:03 PM »

Just a quicky as to who I am. Born in Jakeman Road. 13th December 1930. Attended Mary Street School. Moved to No.1 back of 250 Balsall Heath Road. Great Grand Father Henry Harrison owned Pebble Mill Farm back in the 1800's. Cannon Hill Park was part of his land. The mills water wheel was powered by, I think it was the River Ray, which ran past my granny Harrison's cottage in Clevedon Road. Can remember Zeplins flying over Balsall Heath about 1932-3. Used to shop at Mrs Toombs shop just up from the house. Saw my first talky film at the Luxor Picture House.
We will see how we get on if I stay on this site. I hope that I can make a few friends.

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Just an old Brummy from Downunder
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 09:54:56 PM »

hi moon /g welcome to the forum we have lots of posts that you may find of interest have a read  if you look at top right of this board put in what your looking for and if there is a topic it will find if for try  try putting b/heath you will find lots to interest you  enjoy roy

have a look at this to start you off

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

countrylad

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 12:46:40 AM »
Hello moongalba and welcome. I know of the areas you speak of but would be interested  to hear more about the water mills and Pebble mill farm.

I did live on the outskirts of Brum Kings Norton and Chelmsley Wood, which sadly were new builds on agricultural land.
countrylad

JudithM

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 02:32:24 PM »
Hi, it sounds like you have a great family history here!
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 03:13:35 PM »
Hi Moongalba

Welcome to the forum, 1/250 Balsall Heath Road would have been one of the back courts bombed out during the war. I often walked down the entry between 248 and 250 and across the bomb site  to Wenman Street as a short cut in the 50's. The bomb site across the road from there was a perfect sledge slope after it snowed and all the kids from miles around gathered there.

By the way Pebble Mill was powered by the Bourn Brook before it joined the Rea in Cannon Hill park, but you are right about the location it would have been just about where Birmingham Wildlife Conservation Park is now located.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

moongalba

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 04:51:48 PM »
I remember the high wall which divided our house from Grand Father Winter's court yard.He drove the horse drawn trams up in Brum. He and dad served in the 1st world war, and grandfather went back to driving the horse drawn trams. He finished his working life driving for the Birmingham Bus Company. I still have his horse drawn licence from all those years ago.  My family visited from Auz. Balsall Heath and saw the ruins of our old house. The house was always damp and it is because of that and other conditions that I lost my twin brothers some years back. I still have a sister living in the same house over at Maypole since she and I had a double wedding over at Billesley where we were rehoused.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy