Author Topic: Greasy Spoons/Cafes near Irving Street  (Read 2201 times)

jak_jones

Greasy Spoons/Cafes near Irving Street
« on: January 09, 2018, 01:03:16 PM »
Hello
        We are staying in the Ibis on Irving Street in the town centre in June and having stayed there before I can say the breakfast is not the best in the world!. I'm from out of town so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good place local to the Ibis where we can get a full brekkie on a Saturday and Sunday.

Cheers

Jonesy

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Greasy Spoons/Cafes near Irving Street
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 05:55:08 PM »
Hi Jak

I see you haven't recieved a reply yet. I suppose the problem is that those of us who still live in Birmingham rarely go out for breakfast. If you were asking for recommendations on somewhere to dine in the evening you might get more replies. So lets have a go a tackling breakfast, I'm afraid that my days of using greasy spoon cafes are over so I can only go on recommendations of others. The Saturday shouldn't be a problem just take a walk up to Broad Street and you should find several places open and serving breakfast,

If you want to stretch your legs a bit further try Grand Central Kitchen on Stephenson Street they serve breakfast all day (amongst other meals) and open early mornings evert day of the week. You will find it by New Street Railway Station rear entrance.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

davidc

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 09:07:17 PM »
There's always Wetherspoons full English ;D
Power corrupts

jak_jones

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 02:14:20 PM »
davidc-of course there is! I always forget about them :( Sounds like a walk up to Broad St is the best idea :) Thanks for your replies both of you.

kingshaney

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 11:42:08 PM »
Hmmm im questioning do greasy spoons cafe still exist in the traditional sense as i remember them ? ,no longer do your feet stick to the floor when you walk in there are usually nicely decorated now , and then get hit with a wall of cigarette  smoke and then the smell of frying bacon nope there now have extracted fan , then when you finally get to the counter you are greeted by some old frau with a fag stuck in the corner of her mouth with the ash just hanging on while shes doing your milky coffee with the smoking ban in public places now shes been replace with some grumpy sod who dont really want to be there she really wants to be a aspiring ballet dancer . God i miss them places i wish i could bring them back cause all they are now are trendy eateries with local council ratings and nice white net curtains and brassware .

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 10:38:04 AM »
Kingshaney,as an old Lorry driver,the best greasy spoon I ever found was in Northumberland,at a place called Wooler,it's appropriate it's we're all the sheep are loaded onto transporters for delivery.When I used to deliver Subaru and Lancia car parts found this cafe ,breakfasts were so big for aŁ1 every thing.Never needed anything else all day to eat.Mind you this was in the 80s
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 10:52:41 AM »
The thing I remember about greasy spoon cafes was when they opened the first motorway stop they had a lorry drivers eating place and a motorists eating place. Though as soon as the public caught on to the fact that the lorry drivers were getting cheaper meals they all piled in there. So obviously the owners (was it Forte?) closed the lorry driver section.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

countrylad

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 02:59:51 PM »
I think the last greasy spoon I went to in Brum, was in Kings Norton Green, last year, good breakfast, and the staff running it were great.

I spend a bit of time in London, the greasy spoon is alive and well there, as well as the trendy eateries. Mind you, the trendies still pile in the greasy spoons at weekends. The Weatherspoons breakfast is lacking a bit these days, not as good as it was.

countrylad
[size=78%] [/size]

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy