Author Topic: Number 11 Bus Route  (Read 46783 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Number 11 Bus Route
« on: January 09, 2018, 02:28:02 PM »

Outer Circle Route Number 11

This is a record of the number 11 outer circle route as it used to be when some of us were children and our parents gave us the money on a Sunday morning to go and ride the route to get us out of their hair whilst mom cooked Sunday lunch.

I will do the outline for this photographic record of the route in the below sections, If you have a comment you want to record or a photo you wish to add, please keep it to the relevant section. I will be using images from all dates and will not be trying to keep them to any one particular era.

This is a route I have no personal knowledge of so if I make any errors please excuse me, I don't remember ever using a number 11 bus at all.

The route was started in 1926 though sections had been run as early as 1923. The route today is about 27 miles in length and takes some two hours to complete. Until just quite recently the route was the longest urban route in the UK  but this has been overtaken by Coventry's number 360 service.

For the purpose of this thread the route we will take around the route will be clockwise (11C).

The sections are as following starting at Perry Barr.

1 Perry Barr to Erdington.
2 Erdington to Stechford
3 Stechford to Acocks Green
4 Acocks Green to Kings Heath
5 Kings Heath to Selly Oak
6 Selly Oak to Bearwood
7 Bearwood to Handsworth
8 Handsworth to Perry Barr

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Number 11 Bus Route
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 05:23:54 PM »
We make our start at the junction of Wellinton Road, Birchfield Road and head down Aston Lane to Wellhead Lane.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 05:30:10 PM »
Our next image finds us just before Tewksbury Road and then we are just past London Road looking back the way we came then we find ourselves outside the Aston Hotel on Witton traffic island.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 12:51:01 PM »
We now turn onto Witton Road and head towards Erdington, First we pass The Witton Arms and then under the railway bridge and then over the road bridge across the river Tame
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 12:59:21 PM »
You've managed to start this just where I used to catch the 11 regularly when I lived in Tweed Tower on the Birchfield Road  ;D

I used the Wimbush shop quite regularly (later became Braggs).  They'd sell a lot of the bakery 'seconds' quite cheaply - dented loaves & cakes with wonky icing.

My GP was on Aston Lane, a little further up from the London Road junction but on the other side of the road from it.  There was a chemist opposite the doctors that had the old fashioned glass bottles in the window with different coloured water in each one.  He's actually make up medicines in the back, so rather than telling you to get some mass produced stuff, the doctor would send you across the road with a note to get some of his 'number 2 cough medicine' or somesuch! 
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 01:06:41 PM »
Judith which way was you going and where did you get off. perhaps I may have a photo of that location?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 01:10:39 PM »
Judith which way was you going and where did you get off. perhaps I may have a photo of that location?

I lived in the area for about 10 years - from the mid 80's to the mid-90's.  I don't think I have any pictures of the area though - maybe a view or two out of the flat window, but nothing really of the shops & streets, so it's nice to see them here.

I'd go in either direction really.  I'd go clockwise to Acocks Green when I was going to visit family in Olton, and anti-clockwise to Stirchley to the Bredon Bar. 

I once did the whole route in one day, getting off at Acocks Green to get some groceries before getting back on at the same stop!
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 03:08:30 PM »
Judith,

I have no doubt I will be covering both of those locations later on the route.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 05:33:17 PM »
In the late 70s early 80s they did a walk for charity around the 11 route,my daughter who was about 11-12 did the complete walk to raise quite a lot of money,myself and wife walked with her to Handsworth before catching the bus back to Perry Barr.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 11:16:59 AM »
Next  on our right we pass Deykin Avenue, just past that junction we find Brookvale across the road from where the river Tamw runs alonside the road for a while.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 11:29:05 AM »

I remember passing this spot on the bus going to Erdington a number of times one thing that sticks out in my mind was seeing higgs motors they had a big motor   painted black and white  O0

and on the right  g.e.c
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy