Author Topic: Bad news for Kings Heath.  (Read 2857 times)

frederick

Bad news for Kings Heath.
« on: January 11, 2018, 11:05:22 AM »
Another one of the heavily polluted roads in the U.K. Any ideas what can be done to eliminate the increasing pollution.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/bbc2-documentary-highlight-pollution-kings-14131117
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

JudithM

Re: Bad news for Kings Heath.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 01:31:14 PM »
Well, as the biggest air pollutant is from traffic emissions, then the obvious place is to cut down the traffic or the emissions from the traffic that is on the roads.

Cleaner fuels, higher taxation for higher polluting vehicles, a push towards using public transport, congestions charges, or charges for single occupancy journeys for those who are not residents in that area are all ideas that have been put forward by the government in the past that have not proved popular with the driving public.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 02:30:30 PM »
As the driving public pay in excess of 40 billion pounds a year just for the privilige of driving on our poorly maintained roads and thats without the cost of purchasing a vehicle in the first place. Perhaps the government should put some of these billions into anti polution advances.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

baz

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 05:57:52 PM »
Poor old Kings Heath ! So different now from the 50s, when the place was a big part of my young life.
(Will someone PLEASE put the Kingsway out of its misery ?).

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 06:17:12 PM »
Is this just another knock at Birmingham? In a list of 44 cities that failed pollution tests published in October of last year Birmingham came 9th on that list.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

countrylad

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 07:37:18 PM »
Agree with less polluting vehicles but it doesn't make economic sense to get cars off the road. Car owners/drivers put so much into the coffers, not only through direct tax, but through parking revenue, fines for speeding, parking, defective vehicle, too much snow on the roof.

Keep the traffic moving, then folks would spend less time on the road and therefore less pollution as a result.

frederick

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 11:15:52 AM »
In the program about the pollution in Kings Heath. I thought by talking to the young school children and telling them and their mothers through the kids about pollution courses brain damage. The school run must increase pollution 10 fold and the same goes for all towns/cities in the U.K.      :(    If our population is to keep increasing it just means more cars on our roads and more lorries surplying shops with food and other things. So in my mind at the moment there is no solution to it.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

countrylad

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 10:24:19 PM »
frederick, it is a massive problem. Polution worries me, but the growth in population scares me. I was out at Madley, near Hereford today. Ironically at a heavy plant and machinery sale. Not far from where I was green field sites were been turned into building sites. This again reduces the land available to grow food. HS2, taking swathes of green land and felling mega tons of trees. I am led to believe that trees are good for the environment.....

JudithM

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 01:46:33 PM »
The thing that made me laugh (ironically) in the news this week was a headline on the BBC to the effect that air pollution levels in London were 'the best in 10 years', which kind of makes you think that it's all wonderful and fresh.  When you started reading the article it was actually that for the first time in 10 years pollution levels in London passed to legal limits!  As one commentator put it 'it's been downgraded from diabolical to terrible'.

So, technically, they were the best in 10 years but it was very misleading.  Air pollution there is very bad, much worse than here.

Here's the article - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42681113
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

bethanycalirek

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 02:37:44 PM »
Another one of the heavily polluted roads in the U.K. Any ideas what can be done to eliminate the increasing pollution.

Hey i'd be really interested in all your guys' opinion of Birmingham's pollution problem as well as it's portrayal in the Media at
www.
surveymonkey
.co.uk
/r/TW75XT9

you could fill out this survey for my Geography Coursework i'd really appreciate it, and if you have any further comments feel free to email me on
bethanygeocourse     @outlook    .com

sorry for the layout they were being funny with links
Thank you in advance :) x

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 03:18:24 PM »
Hi Bethany

Welcome to you, just a little correction the forum wasn't being "funny with links" it has an anti spam device which stops new members posting links on the forum and send amy private messages until they have made the required number of posts.

Had you read the forum rules you would have noted this requirement, consequently your submission of a link was disallowed. I have tried both your links and can tell you that I can't get your email address to work, but here is your survey address in full. I hope ot brings some interest, by the way to post links or send private messages you need to have made a minimum of five posts to the forum.

www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/TW75XT9[/font]

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy