Author Topic: BSA Ariel 3 girls  (Read 1529 times)

Brad Jones

BSA Ariel 3 girls
« on: January 13, 2018, 12:17:28 PM »

Hello

No doubt many here remember BSA's Ariel 3 trike launched in summer 1970.  To publicise the trike, a part of BSA's ad campaign was to employ a number of women who, besides attending the three main launch events held in London, Birmingham (the Belfry at Wishaw) and Blackpool), were also to travel round the country with demonstrator models for  potential dealers, plus sometimes attending one-off promo functions.  Officially known as the Ariel 3 Girls, each were additionally kitted out in a special outfit.

Having just begun work on a BSA project circa 1970, if anyone has a lead to any of the A3 girls, I would be very interested in making contact with them.

Brad Jones

AWJD

Re: BSA Ariel 3 girls
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 05:33:13 PM »
Was this one of them?

AWJD

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 05:37:00 PM »
This is fun - here's another picture of all 3 Ariel 3 girls!

Brad Jones

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 05:45:22 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Yes and no!  The lady in the photo is actress Caron Gardner who BSA hired for much of the launch publicity material. However, following her photoshoots she was, as far as I'm aware, unconnected to the subsequent promo campaigns.

Brad Jones

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 05:46:42 PM »
Yes, second pic from my 'BSA Motorcycles - the final evolution' book.

AWJD

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 06:44:12 AM »
I am an keen collector and restorer of BSA motorcycles but I would certainly draw the line with the Ariel 3. BSA attempted to produce a small commuter bike/moped on several occasions and all were commercial as well as technical failures, starting with the BSA Dandy in 1957, followed by the BSA Beagle in 1964 and finishing with the Ariel 3 in 1970. The Ariel 3 definitely epitomised the state of the BSA company at the time which had completely lost its direction.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy