Author Topic: Sir Josiah Mason's Almshouses, Erdington  (Read 1710 times)

Mary Jane Tape

Sir Josiah Mason's Almshouses, Erdington
« on: January 13, 2018, 04:07:45 PM »
Hello
I am trying to find a photo of the Almshouses in Station Road, Erdington.  Also any documents pertaining to these properties.  My parents lived in one of them (as caretakers??) when I was born in 1948.

Can anyone help at all please?
Mary Jane

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Sir Josiah Mason's Almshouses, Erdington
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 05:08:34 PM »
Hi Mary Jane,

Welcome to you, not being a native of Erdington I can only guess that you mean Mason House that stood at the corner of Station Road and High Street and was demolished in the mid 70's/
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Mary Jane Tape

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 11:09:40 PM »

Hello Phil.  Thank you for that information.  Memory plays tricks - I always thought the properties were built in an L shape with our house forming the short arm.  Also I thought the building was closer to the railway bridge.
It's a shame they were demolished and no doubt replaced by something of less architectural merit.
There are still in existence Mason's Cottages in Orphanage Road where an aunt of mine lived until her death a few years ago.  It is a lovely 'gated' community with semi-detached properties ranged around a central Hall which provides food and entertainment for those who want it.
As you are not a native of Erdington this will probably not mean much to you, but someone else might have more information they are willing to pass on.
Incidentally, I was brought home from a Nursing Home to Mason's House, went to school in part of The Orphanage (where my father did wartime fire watching) and married a Mr Mason.
Many thanks once again.
Mary Jane

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 11:44:45 PM »
Mary Jane

Yes sadly it's a rapidly changing world, I believe when the building was demolished it was replaced by a nursery .
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy