Author Topic: Smiths Wood  (Read 7341 times)

Technonan

Smiths Wood
« on: January 29, 2018, 02:35:32 PM »
Hi Everyone. I live in Smiths Wood and have done so since January 1971. My house was 2 years old when we moved in, so I didn't watch it beng built. We moved from Shard End, but I was reared in Aston.
 Does anyone have any photographs of Smiths Wood being built? (it was area10 when we moved here )

countrylad

Re: Smiths Wood
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 11:11:28 PM »
Hello Technonan, area 10, would that be Chelmsley wood? Never heard of Smiths wood, but hadn't heard of Fordbridge until recently, and that's what I know as Chelmsleywood

Countrylad

Technonan

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 08:02:35 AM »
Hi Countrylad....Yes Sorry. It used to be under Chelmsley Wood, but was later changed to Smiths Wood. From area 10 up to 13 are now called Smiths Wood  :-)

countrylad

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 08:31:01 PM »
Hello Technonan, il have to update myself in the new names. I'm still in old money.

What was it like when you moved in? I understand that Chelmsley has a reputation for being rough these days? When I moved into area 2 in 1968, it was a nice place to live.

Countrylad

Technonan

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 03:39:08 PM »
Well Countrylad...I have lived here from 1971, and have never had any trouble. Having said that, I can't speak for the people who live in the cul-de-sacs. I live on the front. I have decent neighbours and don't get any trouble from kids. I wouldn't live anywhere else  :-)  I have heard that the town centre areas are rougher that where I am, and the car areas' ( area 13 ) have a bit of trouble, but not where I am..( I hope I haven't spoken too quickly LOL

townie

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 04:46:21 PM »
Technonan  Is it right that Smiths Woods nickname is Weezy Town? 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

GardenGerald

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 04:47:57 PM »
Hello Techno
Chelmsley Wood had trouble with gangs of hooligans that set out to destroy and damage anything. This started in the Seventies
and not only did they cause trouble in Chelmsley Wood but also, Water Orton ..Castle Bromwich...Shard End..Kingshurst and
anywhere else they wanted to cause problems.
Some parts of Chelmsley were very respectable and very nice people. I think all big estates have problems.
The trouble is what it costs to repair the damage.
Gerald  ( Member Water Orton Repair Team )

countrylad

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 08:08:09 PM »
Technonan, I hope continue to enjoy where you live. I often think what some folks have to put up with in their areas. Some of us are just after peace, quiet and to be able to get on with life.

Which part of Shard End were you from. I went to Alderlea Boy School.
Countrylad

Technonan

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 12:16:00 PM »
We lived in Cat Lane, CL. Went there from being raised in Aston. Stayed there for 2 and a half years, then moved here  (when no-body wanted to move to the Wood)  I must admit, we moved in, in early January (8th) and I hated it!  After being brought up in Aston, with factories facing us, Shard End was bad enough, as in Aston, if you had a front garden, or trees in your road, you were posh LOL. Shard End was green and open, and I felt as though I was living in the back of beyond, but Chelmsley Wood, well.....if you stood in our front bedroom, you could see cows in the fields opposite. I had only ever seen cows when on a train, going on my holidays, LOL. Later, the bank was raised when they built the M6 and the Collector Road. I didn't see a soul until the May, when 4 new lots neighbours moved in, and then I began to make friends. I don't know if you watch 'Neighbours From Hell, but some of the areas look idyllic, but the people..Wow!   As you said, all areas have their problem families, so I have been very lucky  :-)

countrylad

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 10:42:53 PM »
Hello Technonan, I don't know Cat Lane. I know what you mean about moving. It's like you're up-rooted. Over the Autumn and Winter I have passed through Brum quite often.

I have been running my neighbour about a bit from mid Wales. When I go along had M6 I tell him about the place as we pass Castlevale/Brom . I've pointed out the collector road to him. I remember as an 18 year old taking my car along there to see how fast it would go. We then pass the Wood, it does have fond memories of growing up. I don't think I'd want to live there now.

I did like the country bit though. I had moved to the wood from Kings Norton and we were on the edge of the countryside before we got yo Chelmsley.

Yes, I know what you mean about neighbours from hell.....we were lucky too.

Countrylad

Technonan

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 08:28:40 AM »
Cat Lane was off School Lane, CL. Did you know the Cat pub ?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy