Author Topic: Smiths Wood  (Read 7342 times)

frederick

Re: Smiths Wood
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 05:33:27 PM »
Ian, looking at the trees in the one photo I thought the lane may have been going through the trees that are there. I did use it a couple of time a very quiet lane all before the building works started.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 05:41:25 PM »
Thanks Frederick, the lane must have come later - when I lived there, the only access was through the field.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

countrylad

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 07:47:24 PM »
The Bell would be packed out most nights in the 70's The bar was a real old boys place. All of them drinking mild. If I remember right the bell was built in 1668.

astoness

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 02:57:21 AM »
as a youngster my aunt and uncle would take me into the gardens of the bell pub...this was over 50 years back...they lived in bell lane...shame its no longer the place i remember

lyn

countrylad

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 05:58:09 AM »
I'm with you on that one lyn. I'd walk miles with my dad around that area as a nipper, loved the countryside. Then I ended up living in a house on Chelmsley that was instrumental in destroying what I loved about the area.

countrylad

astoness

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2018, 06:47:47 AM »
at least we have our memories countrylad...they cant take that away from us O0

lyn

frederick

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2018, 10:51:43 AM »
Just been talking to my older brother, and he said lovers lane was Bells lane. I am serprised people around in the late 50s early 60s would have known of lovers lane.     :-\

countrylad

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 10:29:10 PM »
frederick, I tell this story with no prejudice or disrespect to any one. It's just two older neighbours chatting an reminiscing. My background is a Brummie. My Neighbour is a farmers son.

We had been spending a bit of time together of late, he is not too well and I sometimes drive him around. We were one day chatting about our youth. I said to him, I was envious of you boys in the country as when you and a girl got together, you had fields, barns, woods where you could go to, to be intimate. We had to wait for the house to be empty!

He said, well, we were more envious of you from the town, you just had more choice than what was in the village!

frederick

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2018, 11:25:45 AM »
Countrylad,
When I first moved to this very quiet Pembrokeshire, I thought the youngsters still have down here the same as in the bigger towns and cities but just not so many of them. And if you look at big estates like Chemseley wood around our cities there is very little on the estates for youngsters. My missuses daughter lives on a new estate in Swansea we were staying with them, on Saturday I said where do I get the news paper we had to drive 5 miles away from the house to get a news paper.     :o     Cities aren't so good.......and then there is traffic polution all around you.     :(

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy