Author Topic: Tillingham Street/ Turner Street.  (Read 5858 times)

Magpie

Tillingham Street/ Turner Street.
« on: February 15, 2018, 10:53:52 PM »

Hi everyone, new boy here found the site very interesting so thought I'd join.
I was born in a house on the corner of Tillingham street and Turner street in the fiftys and remember alot of the shops pubs etc that's been mentioned here, what I'm looking for are photo's of theese two streets an does any body remember the Van-Astens from that street, ( Tillingham  ). Also does anyone remember the coal merchants in turner st, I'm told my grandfather owned it, John vanaten any help would be appreciated.
Does anyone have any photos etc of chessnut avenue off High gate Rd pls. I also lived there.

Richard

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Tillingham Street/ Turner Street.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 11:56:47 PM »

hi mag
              welcome to the forum  this is the best I can come with at this time

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 12:13:53 AM »
Hi Magpie

If you type the names of the street into the searchbox at the top right of the page you will bring up posts and photos of both streets, I know they are there somewhere because I posted them. Also have you a year for your granddads coal yard because I lived around the corner in Larches Street and the only one I can remember in Turner Street was opposite the end of Tillingham Street.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 12:15:52 PM »
Hi again Magpie,

In this slightly clearer print of the photo that Roy has posted of the Coronation celebrations in Tillingham Street for King George VI in 1937 as per my previous post you will see the coal yard entrance I mention opposite the end of the street on Turner Street. The number would be 44 Turner Street, but there is no coal yard registered there in 1937. As I said a rough date for your grandfather would be a help.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Magpie

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 08:09:29 PM »

Hi Roy one,  thanks for photo, as you look up Tillingham street on the right hand side at the top of the road is where I once lived.
happy days..

Richard

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 08:17:08 PM »

hi Richard
                    your welcome   now what I'm going to do is add a tad of colour to the photo and see if I can bring it to life so keep checking this topic  ok and enjoy roy

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 08:57:36 PM »

just a five minuet make over the year 1935   has it may have looked then

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 09:40:54 PM »
Roy

The photo was taken in May 1937 the street was decorated for the coronation of George VI.  These are 3 other photos that were taken on the actual day of the celebrations May 12th. I'm pretty sure I have posted al these photos on the forum previously.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Magpie

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 10:55:48 PM »

Hi Phil.

. Thank you for the picture. I recognise the gates across the road at the top of Tillingham street, I would think the years we are looking for are about 1918-1936  or from about 1942  to maybe 1960?
  I really don't know. I was always led to believe that during the war the vanasten family lived at the bottom end of turner st. (ladypool Rd end) on the right side which was bombed in the war, my family's house took a hit killing one of my aunts, I seem to remember some tall black gates which gave access to some land where the houses once stood and believe this was the Cole yard.  It was on same side of road as Mr Allsworths shop. I have no one to ask to confirm this as all relatives are no longer with us.
one other thing Phil, I don't seem to be able to find anything out about a place called chest nut avenue of Highgate road it maybe chessnut not sure any thoughts,

many thanks
Richard

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 12:58:00 AM »
Magpie

Chestnut Place was off Highgate Road more or less opposite Moydens Garage or Turnpike Service Station if you knew it by that name. The entrance to the back terrace of houses was between numbers 100 & 102  I know I haven't got a photo of the terrace, but I will look you a map out tomorrow.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Magpie

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 10:44:25 AM »

Thanks Phil.
I was beginning to think it did not exist despite I lived there, your a genius. Yes I remember Moydens, but not Turnpike.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy