Author Topic: Tillingham Street/ Turner Street.  (Read 5853 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Tillingham Street/ Turner Street.
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 11:16:55 AM »
Thanks Phil.
I was beginning to think it did not exist despite I lived there, your a genius. Yes I remember Moydens, but not Turnpike.

Magpie

As I said yesterday I am unable to find a photo showing  the part of Highgate Road where Chestnut Place was, but as promised here is a section of OS map locating it for you.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Magpie

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 11:15:59 AM »
Hi Phil.

. Thank you for the picture. I recognise the gates across the road at the top of Tillingham street, I would think the years we are looking for are about 1918-1936  or from about 1942  to maybe 1960?
  I really don't know. I was always led to believe that during the war the vanasten family lived at the bottom end of turner st. (ladypool Rd end) on the right side which was bombed in the war, my family's house took a hit killing one of my aunts, I seem to remember some tall black gates which gave access to some land where the houses once stood and believe this was the Cole yard.  It was on same side of road as Mr Allsworths shop. I have no one to ask to confirm this as all relatives are no longer with us.
one other thing Phil, I don't seem to be able to find anything out about a place called chest nut avenue off Highgate road it maybe chessnut not sure any thoughts,

many thanks
Richard

Alexander Rawlins

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 03:50:16 PM »
Hi all

My family lived at 40 Tillingham Street until 1963 - Bertha and Horace Harward and their daughter Dorothy. I don't suppose anyone remembers them? Bertha's parents, George and Eliza Mead, also lived in the house until they died in 1922 and 1930 respectively.

Does anyone happen to recall the Harwards?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 04:11:49 PM »
Hi Alexander

Welcome to you, although I lived local for a part of my earlier life,  1922-30 is a bit early for me as I didn't put in an appearance until the late fourties.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Alexander Rawlins

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 04:26:45 PM »
Indeed! The Meads was a long shot. Any memories of the Harwards by any chance?

Alexander Rawlins

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 02:50:34 PM »
The Harwards stayed on 40 Tillingham Street after George and Eliza Mead had passed away. Bertha Harward (nee Mead) died in 1943, Horace Frank Harward in 1963.

Their daughter, Dorothy Harward, was born in 1922 and looked after Frank until his death. She then seems to have just decided to abandon the house, leaving all the family possessions in situ.

The house was then empty until 1968 when a tenant took it on an emergency basis. I have met her. In her diary, she describes how the house was in 1968 - amazing for me to have a copy of all of this. When she had to vacate at the time of demolition she took three albums of family postcards with her and some photographs - she has now passed these onto me, having spent nearly 50 years trying to locate a member of the family to return them to. The postcards give an amazing insight into the life of an ordinary working class Birmingham family in the years leading up to the first World War. This has special relevance for me as George Mead was a German immigrant from Hannover and Eliza was also German, having acquired German nationality from her father John Fischer who was from Baden-Baden.

I am captivated by the history of Tillingham Street and the lives of the people who lived there. I live in hope that, someday, I will find photos of George and Eliza.

Best wishes to all

Alexander

astoness

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2018, 11:01:43 PM »
hi alexander what a fascintating story..reading it it looks as though you are searching for any decendants of dorothy haward??  i also have a few bit and bobs found in skips and given to me which really should be with the families they belong to as its their history not mine but for now i will remain guardian of them until hopefully i can locate them or maybe my appeals for them to come forward are spotted on various history forums that i have posted on

all the best

lyn

Alexander Rawlins

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2018, 08:31:47 AM »
Thanks Lyn

Dorothy Harward (my first cousin, twice removed) died unmarried with no descendants in 2008. I would like to trace any descendants of Horace's siblings as I think they would be fascinated by what I have uncovered.

I would be ecstatic if anyone has information or material on the Meads/Harwards (40 Tillingham Street) that they could share with me. I know that my newly discovered German cousins would also be intrigued.

Good luck with reuniting those skip finds with their rightful owners. As someone who has been the beneficiary of such largesse I can tell you that it will be much aporeciated!

BW

Alexander

astoness

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2018, 06:15:34 PM »
thanks alexander i am ever hopefull...wish someone would find some of my family treasures although i am lucky in the fact that i do have many old family photos..some folk have absolutely nothing

lyn

Nick Groom

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2023, 07:28:46 PM »
Is this post still live? I recently came upon a post card addressed to Bertha Mead of 40 Tillingham Street Sparkbrook. Post mark is 22 Jan 1915

Alexander Rawlins

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2023, 05:44:45 AM »
Hi Nick

Thanks for this, amazing! May I ask where you found the postcard, please? Any chance you upload a scan?

Bertha was my gg aunt.

Thx

Alex

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy