Author Topic: Congestion Charge For Birmingham  (Read 12214 times)

Spud

Congestion Charge For Birmingham
« on: February 22, 2018, 10:49:09 AM »
I've just had the local newspaper issued by The local Conservative Councillor it makes quite interesting [if that's the word]. It would seem that our Labour Council Council are considering the introduction of a 'Congestion' charge for the city centre. It is estimated that it will cost £2700 per year for people who have to drive to work in Birmingham.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

frederick

Re: Congestion Charge For Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 11:05:59 AM »
More people means more houses and more cars and lorries coming to towns and cities. I have noticed it down here where I live in 1984 it was still a quite country town on the coast. But since everyone as become to living the millionaire life style our once no traffic lights in the town. The town is now having it's fourth set of traffic lights installed.      :(
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

countrylad

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 09:53:00 PM »
Same here frederick, I was commenting the other day about traffic out in the sticks. Busy traffic was the last two weeks in July and first Two weeks in August. It is now constant. Then of course there are the '50 something' bikers every weekend ( I'm so envious of them really) wish I could join them!

What I do have difficulty seeing is if Public Transport is so good, why sit in traffic? Where do you park?

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 11:01:18 PM »
my nearest bus in the number three that goes in to stourport and on to kiddy its about a 20 minuet serves the only problem is the bus stop is about a mile away form where I live and yes we get bikers loads of them at weekends  but putting Congestion Charge For Birmingham good or bad not sure
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

countrylad

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 11:13:37 PM »
Roy the bikers are probably passing my place about 30 minutes after your place. And boy do they go. The acceleration is incredible.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 11:34:18 PM »
This charge is all about raising money to fill the pockets the council Leaders
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

countrylad

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 11:48:19 PM »
Edmund, you're right, that's the bottom line  O0

frederick

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 03:22:18 PM »
With people now living the millionaire life style and being able to afford cars motor bikes holidays abroad. If I was asked what would you do......I would say the same as you they can afford it have the money off them put the rates up make them pay for parking and fine as many as we can. ££££££££££. We can't have it all our own way.     :(
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 11:20:26 AM »
These charges come into effect commencing January next year. This is officially a congestion charge, but it's aimed at air pollution. Prices being talked about are petrol cars manufactured before 2006 and diesel cars before 2015 will pay £8 per day. HGV's and buses £50 per day. The area covered will be everywhere within the inner city ring road (the number 8 bus route) quite a large area.

As I never drive into town, it's not going to bother me a lot, but I just wonder if all those City Councillors and Council upper echelon are exempt from these charges. Whilst I realise that we need to do something about pollution does it really need to cover such a large area. Surely this is going to hike up all transport cost and therefore increase the cost of living and encourage a lot of outlets that are struggling already to move out of the zone.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vamann

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 08:42:44 AM »
As usual hitting the not so well off private motorist.  While I whole heartedly agree with reducing pollution making it even more difficult for the low paid to survive doesn't seem to me to be the right way to go. I always believed Labour supported the poorer members of our society.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 09:42:23 AM »
Labour is not the Labour of old.Like the Cons these councillors only look after there pay packets
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy