Author Topic: Congestion Charge For Birmingham  (Read 12199 times)

JudithM

Re: Congestion Charge For Birmingham
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2019, 01:33:46 PM »
I can see in the near future cars being bard from big towns and cities because of pollution. And the only way to get into them will be like we used to many years ago but on an electric bus. I can see electric cars being able to go in, but how many can afford an electric car.
The cost of electric cars will go down as more are produced & it becomes the 'norm'.  You can buy a new electric car from £14/£15k, which is a lot less then you could a couple of years ago.  As more manufacturers produce them, there will be more innovation & more competition which will drive the price down.

Not everyone needs to own a car, however, and it's already been noted that car ownership has started to decline for younger people.  There has been a push to re-open train stations here in Birmingham & elsewhere, because people don't want to commute by car because of either congestion, or the fact that they don't have a car. 

So yes, it might go back to more like my youth when not every household had a car & you got everywhere by public transport or taxi.  I can't see a problem with that.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2019, 01:51:15 PM »
Judith

From my youth I have never been a fan of buses and would often walk miles rather than use a bus. These days when I have cause to use public transport I tend to use local trains and I can't say a word against this service. As I have no experience of the buses today except one short bus ride from the City to Moseley last year I feel I have no right to comment on bus services today.

As for the Congestion charges I feel that the inner circle route is far too big an area just to cut down the traffic in the city centre. There used to be a city circle route that the number 19 route used to run on which would have been much more suitable for this purpose because it encircles almost entirely commercial property only. Though it wouldn't have taken so much money I suppose.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2019, 02:05:51 PM »
I do not take my car in to brum now its just not worth it I can get the train from kiddy in to snow hill or moor street and its a nice quick train ride and cheap to  now phil was on about buses  iv not been on a bus in brum for a long time now a friend of the family works in brum town centre and she uses the bus in the morning and  at night going too and from her place of work  she tells me its cheap shes got a pass she pays for well the place she works for pays for it she finds the buses ok some times they get a bit messy but they are well used  so all in all she ok with them ( I wonder in time to come will they put the tram back on from town to the lickys that Bristol road is a nightmare)
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

frederick

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2019, 04:20:01 PM »
Phil,
I think the mortgages were when they did have jobs that would have been over 30 years ago, but have have found that they can live on free money......why work. And all the time some of us are still paying tax which goes towards keeping these type of people in the comfort they have got used to.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2019, 04:59:16 PM »
Not that it has anything to do with this thread, bur they must live the life of Riley on the married couples unemployment allowance of £112.55.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2019, 06:47:37 PM »
Yet another tax on motorists, less cars going into town, ipso facto, less people shopping in the city, but we will have a ‘clean city’ with lots of boarded up shops..
Who wants to go shopping in the city and then haul it home on a smelly bus? :D

Grumpy unlike you some of us have to use a smelly bus , talk about snobs . The smelly bus was good enough for me as a kid and still is , I remember who I am .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

mike mancott

« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2019, 06:56:33 PM »

Grumpy unlike you some of us have to use a smelly bus , talk about snobs . The smelly bus was good enough for me as a kid and still is , I remember who I am .

Grumpy, I don`t find the buses smelly, and there`s nothing wrong with what my nose is meant to tell me.

frederick

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2019, 11:09:08 AM »
The bus we use them regularly and carry shopping bags back with us. Back in the day when my parents had a caravan at Spouport it was a two bus journey to get there. Some people today are up themselfs as was said snobs.     :)
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2019, 11:41:46 AM »
This is all very well, and I realise I'm as guilty as anyone else, but it has very little to do with the congestion charges in Birmingham City Centre.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2019, 12:08:40 PM »
Congestion Charge  has two purposes first to make money out of the motorist  second to cut down on the traffic using the city  so folk will need to find a cheap way of getting in and out of the city  and to avid having to pay the charges       bus or train  is the answer  or use a bike at your own risk
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Spud

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2019, 01:12:52 PM »
Having a Bus Pass does sort of concentrate the mind when deciding how to get into Birmingham. We use the Park and Ride perhaps once a week. Parking is usually OK on Fridays and over the weekend. The trains are fairly reliable although we had a few cancellations  last week. 'No drivers.'  OK we could use the Bus but Whitlocks Ends is a little off Piste. Don't like the Buses, Scruffy and that stretch from Camp Hill to Springfield  is hardly a good advert for the city.  I was a bit intrigued with Judith saying you could get a new Electric Car for £14-£15 K . I have been looking around and £30k seems to be nearer the mark.
I hear that we are expecting 5 Million visitors while the German Market is on. Not too busy last Friday but I guess it will make a difference as Christmas approaches.

The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy