Author Topic: Congestion Charge For Birmingham  (Read 12205 times)

astoness

Re: Congestion Charge For Birmingham
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2019, 06:57:15 PM »
hi spud...i have a theory as to why the german market will be on for an extra 2 weeks.. in my opinion the city centre has become a ghost town since all the building work and metro work has started coupled with constant pedestrian diversions and bus route changes resulting in a loss of revenue for the city...apart from the people who work in the city who have no choice in the matter the normal shoppers are keeping away...me included as its just a constant building site and is so depressing...so the powers that be are hoping by giving the market this extra 2 weeks they can claw back some lost revenue...of course come the new year it will be back to a ghost town again..just my opinion... :(

lyn

lyn

JudithM

« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2019, 01:27:02 PM »
This is all very well, and I realise I'm as guilty as anyone else, but it has very little to do with the congestion charges in Birmingham City Centre.
It kind of does. Although it's not really a congestions charge (officially it's a Clean Air Charge) it probably will have the knock on effect of reducing car traffic into the city centre.  People will still have to get there to work (or shop), so they will have to come in by train, tram or bus - or cycle if that's an option for them.

I'll start off by saying I don't drive, so mostly travel by bus & very rarely have the kinds of issues people who don't use buses regularly assume happens constantly  ;D All jokes of smelliness aside, overcrowding is a big issue right now, and if more people are going to turn to public transport then something does need to be done about it.  One evening last week I waited over an hour to be able to get on a bus as they kept coming round full already (I get on 4 stops into the route).  It doesn't often happen to that extent, but once or twice a month, or if there are issues with the trains, it can be a problem.  And talking about trains, my colleagues who commute by train talk of delays almost every day, and regularly say trains are too full to get on as they are showing up with only 2 carriages.

Don't get me wrong, I think measures to cut air pollution are a good thing, but they have to provide a viable alternative to the car to make it work & I don't see that happening at the moment.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2019, 01:31:41 PM »
Judith

On reality what it is no matter what they call it is a ploy to get you out of your car and on public transport. So being a person who would rather attempt driving to the moon than into the city centre it will never affect me.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2019, 01:33:04 PM »
hi spud...i have a theory as to why the german market will be on for an extra 2 weeks.. in my opinion the city centre has become a ghost town since all the building work and metro work has started coupled with constant pedestrian diversions and bus route changes resulting in a loss of revenue for the city...apart from the people who work in the city who have no choice in the matter the normal shoppers are keeping away...me included as its just a constant building site and is so depressing...so the powers that be are hoping by giving the market this extra 2 weeks they can claw back some lost revenue...of course come the new year it will be back to a ghost town again..just my opinion... :(

lyn

lyn
I think that there might be something in that.  I don't know how well it will work though, as I can't think that extra people will come because it's open longer, will it just be the same number of people will come spread over a longer time? 

By the time it's gone the city centre tram works will have finished (although the extension from Centenary Square to Five Ways will be ongoing) so perhaps things will settle down some.   I hope so, because the city centre really is dire right now there seem to be more baguette shops than anything - as you say, capturing the office workers with their lunch break needs!

mrRandallhop

Congestion Charge For Birmingham
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2020, 09:10:35 AM »
I can imagine any congestion charge here in Liverpool getting the same thumbs down as in Manchester.

Generally traffic flows quite well around Liverpool,
John

gnc

« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2020, 09:02:05 AM »
hello, im thinking of coming into birmigham next week, is this congestion zone working yet
geof

JudithM

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2020, 01:21:04 PM »
hello, im thinking of coming into birmigham next week, is this congestion zone working yet
geof
I don't think it starts until Summer (1st July is a date I've heard).

gnc

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2020, 01:39:11 PM »
thanks, from what i could find out it was january
geof

Spud

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2020, 03:26:18 PM »
There has been a delay in introducing the Congestion Charge in Birmingham I understand that it will be July 1st 2020 at the very earliest
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

gnc

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2020, 08:00:11 AM »
thanks everyone, ill be ok then

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy