Author Topic: Street begging and being homeless  (Read 12581 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Street begging and being homeless
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2018, 11:18:37 AM »

Phil I'd try to get them into some form of a cooperative, you're out on  the begging for money, we will give you money in return for your labour . There is plenty of work around that you could align to local councils , clearing of rubbish for a certain stretch of the motorway , street clearance of litter , jobs  that do not require a tradepersons skills unless of course the person is a tradesman . I'm sure local councils would welcome the help and allot a certain amount of cash

Scipio

This sort of work is already carried out by those sentenced to community service by the courts. Though I've always thought that this takes work off the job market and somebody could be being paid the minimum wage for carrying out this work.

Though I suppose we would then have the same people that moan about these idlers as they call them would then be moaning about the increase in the Council Rate.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2018, 11:54:55 AM »
In Bridge st Haverfordwest there is a guitar busker. When he as enough money for food he is off to Iceland he then off home.

The more money we millionaires to spend the more beggars to have some off us.

As been said years back when we didn't live the millionaire life style
And couldn't give money away there were very few beggars and only the tramps as we called them.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2018, 11:58:47 AM »

As been said years back when we didn't live the millionaire life style
And couldn't give money away there were very few beggars and only the tramps as we called them.

Fred

I can recall beggars all my life (not so many back then) and I came from a very poor background, but we were always able to spare a few coppers for someone less fortunate than ourselves.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2018, 12:15:26 PM »
Or have neighbours pop round for a cup of sugar or a drop of milk.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

townie

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2018, 01:10:50 PM »
Half of these homeless beggars are not what you think. Some are professional beggars and got more money and better housing than most. I wouldn't give them a penny that's my choice. 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

astoness

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2018, 07:46:56 PM »
it could be the case that some of these beggars are professionals but what about those that are not...i very often give them a quid ....if they are not genuine ok so what ? ive lost a quid but if they are genuine i know i have at least in some small way   helped a fellow human being....one of my sayings is..."there but for the grace of god go i "

lyn

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2018, 08:18:20 PM »

it could be the case that some of these beggars are professionals but what about those that are not...i very often give them a quid ....if they are not genuine ok so what ? ive lost a quid but if they are genuine i know i have at least in some small way   helped a fellow human being....one of my sayings is..."there but for the grace of god go i "

lyn

hi lyn and you are the kind hearted soul that they rely to give them a good way of life you give five of them a pound each the police say four of them are con men and the one is in need  but you would not know the diffrence
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

countrylad

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2018, 10:11:15 PM »
Remember the folks that lived rough in the 50's & 60's. Some called them Tramps or Roadsters. They would travel from place to place. I can remember one would pass through Kings Norton, great big black overcoat he wore He had s bit of a fire on waste ground. I took him a tin of soup out of the cupboard. He heated it up on his fire and drank it out of the can. I was only about 7 years old, would sit talking to him for ages. Not so sure such a young child could do that these days.

I often wonder what happened to the old boy. Was he a tramp or an eccentric millionaire ?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2018, 10:12:41 PM »
Roy

Just how are we supposed to know just who is the genuine beggar and who is the fake apart from those with children and dogs who are a definite no no. I'm sure like myself Lyn would rather make a mistake now and again and be sure that a genuine needful person gets some help.

Perhaps the police might be better placed if they didn't pay so much to these bods who come up with these figures and they spent the savings on policing our streets.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

astoness

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2018, 10:42:33 PM »
yes phil if the figures are accurate then i will take my chances that at least i am helping 1 in 5 and who knows i may hit the jackpot of 5 out of 5.. ;D

lyn

Spud

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2018, 11:24:09 AM »
I don't consider myself to be a soft touch and rarely give anything to beggars but we were on holiday in Valencia a couple of years ago and outside The Cathedral there was this young women literally crouching on what looked like a tea tray on wheels which she used to drag herself around she looked in a real state so I bunged her a few Euros. 5 minutes later she all but run us over speeding away on a brand new motor scooter.  >:(
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy