Author Topic: HSBC  (Read 2402 times)

Scipio

HSBC
« on: February 28, 2018, 08:24:04 PM »
Any members of the forum bank with HSBC ? If so you might be interested as to who some of their clients are like, Al-Quaeda , money laundering for drug barons etc .If you're interested search" HSBC sorry," I do not fortunately , if I did it would certainly mean withdrawal.
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

robx52

Re: HSBC
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 08:56:15 PM »
My 95 year old mother in law has banked with them in its many guises since the 60s. I knew there was something fishy about her.Think its to late for her  to change now.

countrylad

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 11:02:56 PM »
Incredible what's lurking behind the scenes of these supposedly respectable establishments.

But you know, there is money to be made if you know how. Neighbour Of mine has been selling off the family farm over a few years. Last year they sold the farm house and 6 acres of land for £350k they invested that through a finance advisor. Not sure what % he charged for managing the money.  6 months later she had a statement, she had made £15k on that money (net) and the financial advisor took £3k. Makes you think! Not sure what the risk was though....

Spud

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 10:36:26 AM »
I've been with HSBC for 50 years or more always very helpful did have a problem last year with the wife's Debit Card she just could not use it [Thankfully] it took 5 weeks to sort it out. HSBC records when they issued her with a new card they failed to record the new Card Number. But other Banks have been involved in scandals look at Barclays and the Libor Mortgage rates.
Regarding Financial Advisers I did use one some 20 years ago when I retired and had a lump sum to invest at the time it really did not cost me a bean for the advice they too their cut from the commission paid by the providers. It worked out quite well but one one the question asked when we invested was 'How do you feel about risk ? Which really needs some thought before answering It was a good experience and I learned quite a lot and handle my own re-investments now. Never invest money which you cannot afford to loose avoid the offers which seem too good to be true they usually are. There are people out there offering Bonds with returns of 9% PA often these turn out to be Peer to Peer loans your money lent out and relying on the borrower to repay. I really l would advise anyone to be very wary of these.
Having said all that I do have a dabble [small] on Stocks and Shares usually in the form of ISA based Unit trusts did OK last year had a return in double figures. I always look for Trusts who invest in well known companies Microsoft Apple Samsung etc. But I never invest money which I cannot afford to loose.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

frederick

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 11:36:11 AM »
Spud,
Good advice....only money you can afford to lose. I find with stocks and shares if you have built up a good profit any ups and downs are within your profit and not your capital.

I have also been with HSBC for around fourty years, also other banks.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

countrylad

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 12:55:15 PM »
Spud, as frederick says good advice. I don't like the risk with regards to money. What bit I've got took a lifetime to get. It could be lost over night. But you know, that's life some of your best business men and women are by their very nature risk takers

Scipio

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 08:48:42 PM »

I've been with HSBC for 50 years or more always very helpful did have a problem last year with the wife's Debit Card she just could not use it [Thankfully] it took 5 weeks to sort it out. HSBC records when they issued her with a new card they failed to record the new Card Number. But other Banks have been involved in scandals look at Barclays and the Libor Mortgage rates.
Regarding Financial Advisers I did use one some 20 years ago when I retired and had a lump sum to invest at the time it really did not cost me a bean for the advice they too their cut from the commission paid by the providers. It worked out quite well but one one the question asked when we invested was 'How do you feel about risk ? Which really needs some thought before answering It was a good experience and I learned quite a lot and handle my own re-investments now. Never invest money which you cannot afford to loose avoid the offers which seem too good to be true they usually are. There are people out there offering Bonds with returns of 9% PA often these turn out to be Peer to Peer loans your money lent out and relying on the borrower to repay. I really l would advise anyone to be very wary of these.
Having said all that I do have a dabble [small] on Stocks and Shares usually in the form of ISA based Unit trusts did OK last year had a return in double figures. I always look for Trusts who invest in well known companies Microsoft Apple Samsung etc. But I never invest money which I cannot afford to loose.

Spud , the reason I raised the thread was the people that was banking with their Mexican branches , real baddies to say the least
drug cartels Al Qaeda  to name but two
Mark Twain

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 01:51:13 PM »
I don't know why anyone would use a bank nowadays with all their bad history when there are some really good ethical Building Societies (no shareholders) offering banking facilities.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

Spud

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 04:20:37 PM »
Ian/Scipio
 I fully appreciate what you are saying but all I can say is with my dealings with Building Societies and I still  hold both Savings and Current Accounts with a couple but I have  had so much trouble I could honestly write a Book.
 Call me old fashioned but I do like to remain loyal to companies like HSBC who on the whole have treated me pretty well over the years.
I will add one further point If you are looking for a Savings Accounts ISA Fixed Rate bonds it can be worthwhile to have look around at the likes of Virgin Money and even old Tecos their rates can be better than those found on the High St.

The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Scipio

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 09:00:31 PM »

Ian/Scipio
 I fully appreciate what you are saying but all I can say is with my dealings with Building Societies and I still  hold both Savings and Current Accounts with a couple but I have  had so much trouble I could honestly write a Book.
 Call me old fashioned but I do like to remain loyal to companies like HSBC who on the whole have treated me pretty well over the years.
I will add one further point If you are looking for a Savings Accounts ISA Fixed Rate bonds it can be worthwhile to have look around at the likes of Virgin Money and even old Tecos their rates can be better than those found on the High St.

Spud I've got decent returns on ISA's from different people , like you I only keep a pittance in  bank account . I started this thread off
just to show that HSBC and or its subsidiaries will take money off the very unscrupulous as well as the hard working man
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy