Author Topic: Aluminium Cans  (Read 7717 times)

Scipio

Aluminium Cans
« on: March 01, 2018, 09:08:18 PM »
After looking at some of the posts on another thread about plastic etc , aluminium cans were mentioned . My question is when your local councils empty you bins , what happens with the aluminium cans , do they lump them all together and sell them . I did see on a news item last week , a certain council gave it to a company to recycle who then  sell it .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

countrylad

Re: Aluminium Cans
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 10:31:41 PM »
I think they do filter them out and sell them off. A mate of mine, I take him out a couple of times a month, he has early on-set dementia at 62. He's always been good company and although he has dementia, he focuses on Aluminium cans when we are out for a walk along the canals and by- ways. He's always on about gathering them up and weighing them in. He spots literally hundreds on our jaunts. Worth a thought.  O0

Scipio

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 08:24:52 PM »

I think they do filter them out and sell them off. A mate of mine, I take him out a couple of times a month, he has early on-set dementia at 62. He's always been good company and although he has dementia, he focuses on Aluminium cans when we are out for a walk along the canals and by- ways. He's always on about gathering them up and weighing them in. He spots literally hundreds on our jaunts. Worth a thought.  O0

Countrylad , when I worked in West Bromwich  1984-2013 , at lunchtime  there was a chap I regularly on a push bike . Shopping bag
across the handlebars, every time he spotted a can off he'd get into the bag in went . Out in all weathers he was , guess what he was wearing  shorts as well .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

frederick

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 01:16:07 PM »
As I have said. I used to collect them and change them for cash at the scrap yard along with any copper and brass that I had collected when doing electrical and plumbing jobs.........In for a penny in for a pound.     O0     Doing that reduced the outgoing job price.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 09:09:28 PM »
My father-in-law used to take his scrap metal to 'Fair Frank'. However, I would not recommend 'True Trump' who is thinking of imposing a 10% tariff on aluminium.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

countrylad

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 06:50:18 PM »

Countrylad , when I worked in West Bromwich  1984-2013 , at lunchtime  there was a chap I regularly on a push bike . Shopping bag
across the handlebars, every time he spotted a can off he'd get into the bag in went . Out in all weathers he was , guess what he was wearing  shorts as well .
Could have been me, especially if the bike had stabilisers  ;D

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 09:57:42 AM »
Change of subject for a sec,if you have an allotment put a plastic bottle on a stick ,when the wind blows it rattles and frightens the birds off.. O0 O0
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

JudithM

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 01:28:00 PM »
If they can get scrap value for anything, I'm sure the council would.  If they then pass them onto another company who makes a profit from them then that's their business.

I suppose by putting stuff in our recycling bins for the council to pick up we are paying (via council tax) for the convenience of them taking the stuff away & dealing with it & if the council then decides it's cheaper, or easier, to pass certain things on to 3rd parties so be it.  I'm sure if anyone wanted to they could save up their paper & card & aluminium & what not & then sell it on & make a profit themselves.  Most don't want the hassle of doing that  ;D

On a side note, some of the organisations that collect clothes via the bags you get through the letterbox do much the same thing - they then sell the donated clothes (usually by weight) on to organisations who recycle or re-distribute.  That's why if I have clothes I want to pass on I take them direct to the charity shop.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

countrylad

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 05:51:42 PM »
My father-in-law used to take his scrap metal to 'Fair Frank'. However, I would not recommend 'True Trump' who is thinking of imposing a 10% tariff on aluminium.
I used to take mine to a man in Bordesly Green, on the corner of Cattle Rd and Garrison Lane, can't remember the name of the dealer. I'd weigh in at holiday times, get a bit of extra cash  O0 [size=78%] [/size]

robx52

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 08:21:02 PM »
Raggie Allen?  O0

ironside

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 08:35:48 PM »
 Alco Aluminium used to have vans park up and buy cans from the public for 1 penny each. Read about a bloke in Cardiff who would get up early and go around the city centre collecting cans, it supposedly paid his mortgage. How many cans would it take to pay a £600 per month mortgage; 60,000?  An old bloke with a trailer on his push bike was collecting steel and aluminium cans out of the recycle bins; I asked him if it was worthwhile, he said it was. Our council is supposed to separate steel cans with magnets and ali with eddy currents. Just been reading about abandoned cars locally, the council are forking out thousands to get rid of them; a couple of people have been fined. Seems odd, you would think the councils could make money out of them, since there are people on the net want to buy scrap cars. You need the registration to get a quote, so I couldn’t find out how much they pay. Sorry it is drifting a bit, but I would like to know what the problem is.   

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy