Author Topic: Aluminium Cans  (Read 7716 times)

JudithM

Re: Aluminium Cans
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 01:15:08 PM »
Alco Aluminium used to have vans park up and buy cans from the public for 1 penny each. Read about a bloke in Cardiff who would get up early and go around the city centre collecting cans, it supposedly paid his mortgage. How many cans would it take to pay a £600 per month mortgage; 60,000?  An old bloke with a trailer on his push bike was collecting steel and aluminium cans out of the recycle bins; I asked him if it was worthwhile, he said it was. Our council is supposed to separate steel cans with magnets and ali with eddy currents. Just been reading about abandoned cars locally, the council are forking out thousands to get rid of them; a couple of people have been fined. Seems odd, you would think the councils could make money out of them, since there are people on the net want to buy scrap cars. You need the registration to get a quote, so I couldn’t find out how much they pay. Sorry it is drifting a bit, but I would like to know what the problem is.
Have you asked the Council?

It would be interesting to know why they don't try & recoup costs where they can - or maybe they do & just don't tell us  ;D
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

ironside

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 02:14:16 PM »
 I hadn’t thought of that Judith.
The article in the paper gave the figures for cars dumped in Brum and the other local boroughs; I think it was 4500 in Brum, can’t remember the amount it was costing but it was a large figure. It said that when people break down and can’t afford the repair they just abandon the car.

Scipio

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 08:35:46 PM »

Have you asked the Council?

It would be interesting to know why they don't try & recoup costs where they can - or maybe they do & just don't tell us  ;D

I often thought of taking my beer cans down to a metal merchant , my younger son said I'd need hell of a lot to get a decent return ,
having said that good luck to the council they must collect tons , plus get a decent wedge in return
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

countrylad

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 04:27:08 PM »
I don't know what the scrap value of aluminium is at the moment but I think it takes about 32 cans to make a pound in weight.

ironside

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 06:24:48 PM »
 If that is the case Countrylad, looking at the scrap price it would take approximately 70.5 cans to make 60 pence.

Scipio

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2018, 09:41:24 PM »

If that is the case Countrylad, looking at the scrap price it would take approximately 70.5 cans to make 60 pence.

Ironside , that's exactly why I don't trade them in, 70.5 cans = 0.60p . So it would take quite a few to get up to a metric tonne , which would make it worthwhile .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2018, 11:14:26 PM »
I think I would wait a few weeks till I had got a good weight to sell them on
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

frederick

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 10:04:19 AM »
E F,
That's what I did wait a few months and it would quite a lot of flattened cans. At the time there was a booze cruse to Southern Ireland from Pembroke and my lad and his girl used to go over and bring back a load cans of larger.......This was after we had sold the bars.     :)
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

ironside

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 01:17:21 PM »
 Just been talking to a man collecting a scrap car from a neighbour, I asked him about the scrap cars dumped and costing the council money. He said the council are concerned about the wages they have to pay the three men collecting the cars and storing them is a problem despite the land they own. They can’t just phone a dismantler to collect them, he said if he was stopped with a car he had no log book for VOSA would put a GV9 on his lorry. That is, it would be forbidden to move. Then there is I suppose the question who owns the car, has it just been dumped or not. The car he was collecting was a twelve-year-old Fiesta, I think, I would be worth £60, he said.   

Steve

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2018, 04:53:34 PM »
I don't know why the Council here in Telford pays to have cars taken away. The folk that they employ get paid by them, then they get around £100 off the scrapyard for average family cars.
 If you phone the scrap yard they will collect a car and pay on the spot.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Hi De Hi

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2019, 01:43:44 PM »
I think they do filter them out and sell them off. A mate of mine, I take him out a couple of times a month, he has early on-set dementia at 62. He's always been good company and although he has dementia, he focuses on Aluminium cans when we are out for a walk along the canals and by- ways. He's always on about gathering them up and weighing them in. He spots literally hundreds on our jaunts. Worth a thought.  O0

I used to collect alu cans. I even fitted a box on the back of my bike so I could go out cycling at weekends and come home with a box full.  However the scrap yard that I used to get rid of them closed down. They paid 70p a kilo. The only place I could find after that was Taroni in Aston. They only paid 40p a kilo. By the time I had driven over there, even with a boot full, it wasn't worth the effort or fuel.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy