Author Topic: Help to identify school  (Read 2075 times)

jamesm

Help to identify school
« on: March 05, 2018, 08:08:47 AM »

I came across this medal the other day and would appreciate any help in identifying the school, college or club who awarded it. Judging by the crest, which is seen on the City coat of arms, I assume it was based in Birmingham.

Spud

Re: Help to identify school
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 08:55:12 AM »
The maker is almost certainly Fattorini and Sons not that is much help. Pretty sure that they are still going in Birmingham but it may now be Thomas Fattorini
The Best Is Yet To Come

jamesm

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 08:58:27 AM »
Spud you're right. The listing credits the makers as Fattorini and sons and it has the Birmingham hallmark.

Spud

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 09:06:56 AM »
I have had a quick look but I am on my way out but Fattorini was /are a pretty high class Silversmiths so I would imagine that CSS are no 'ordinary' school or club. Almost sure that Fattorini makes the FA Cup medals. Bet  that our Mate Phil will come up with something.
Regards have a nice day JT.
The Best Is Yet To Come

countrylad

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 09:14:59 AM »
The hall Mark is also Brum 1926/27.

The only SCS I can think of would be Sharmans Cross School. Not sure when that was built, and may have been classed as Solihull back then if indeed it was built at that time. Its quite a medal though, being solid silver. Would schools give out silver medals, unless private schools?

countrylad

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 09:16:14 AM »
must type quicker....... ;D

jamesm

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 10:13:27 AM »
There are another two examples listed from different years

The second example with the words form 11 (Could refer to Form 2?) makes me think it was a school or college but as you say solid silver medals awarded by a school would be exceptional I think.

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 10:45:24 AM »
James

The medal was made by an old Birmingham firm of badge makers F Fattorini & Sons of Birmingham. They still have premises in Frederick Street in the Jewelry Quarter. If it is of any great importance to you, I'm sure if you were to contact them they could assist you from their records.
Make Love Not War

jamesm

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 11:03:13 AM »
Thanks, Phil.

countrylad

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 06:47:56 PM »
In Brum back in the 20's to the 40's did they have what they called County Schools? The reason I ask is because in Wales many pupils stayed in the same school until they left at the age of 13 or 14. If you happened to be a bright scholar you could have the opportunity of going to the 'county school'.

I.E. At Alderlea the brighter kids would go on to Saltly Grammar. Could this medal be from a county school if such things existed in Brum? The 'C' & 'S' could stand for County School, just a thought....

countrylad

GardenGerald

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 06:57:12 PM »
Hello Country Lad
Birmingham had Secondary Modern School. Some of these were also called County Modern Schools.
Gerald.