Author Topic: Help to identify school  (Read 6685 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Help to identify school
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2018, 11:37:56 AM »
According to the national archives, ref ED35/2576 The School formaly Known as Birmingham Municipal Technical Day School was called Sulfok Street Council secondary School.from 1902 untill 1919.

On the Aston Univercity website (The early years) It says The Birmingham Municipal Technical School only taught as an evening School as day release courses where not available untill 1919. in the day time it was used as a boys Shcool,There is a photo of the School,wich is the same photo as the one on Birmingham central Grammar Schools face book page.

Rob

Admittedly I haven't delved into the archives as mentioned by yourself but the information I quoted came from another source you mention,

http://www.aston.ac.uk/50/history/the-early-years/

Where oddly it makes no mention of it being a secondary school, and states it was built as a Technical or Commercial School.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jamesm

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2018, 12:03:53 PM »
James i dont think it proves it but its just a coincidence with the hammer arm and turret being the same as B C G S blazer badge,and the School staring in Sufolk street
Not proof positive I agree but going on probabilities I tend to think you may be right. O0

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2018, 01:15:12 PM »
Rob

Another thing Secondary Schools weren't established until after the Fisher Act of 1918  or so I read until then there were only Higher Elementary Schools.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

robx52

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2018, 03:40:55 PM »
Phil i can only quote again The National Archives, Sufolk Street Council Secondary School !902/1919

robx52

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2018, 03:46:18 PM »

Rob

Admittedly I haven't delved into the archives as mentioned by yourself but the information I quoted came from another source you mention,

http://www.aston.ac.uk/50/history/the-early-years/

Where oddly it makes no mention of it being a secondary school, and states it was built as a Technical or Commercial School.

Yes phill but it does state that it was used as a boys school during the day time uptill  1919 wich fits the dates of the county School

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2018, 04:39:28 PM »
Rob

I am not doubting what you say, but I find certain aspects odd.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

countrylad

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2018, 06:23:06 PM »
Is there a convention on how these medals should be read? Should it be starting at the top - CSS. Or clockwise from the left - SCS?
countrylad

robx52

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2018, 07:44:34 PM »
Ive seen badges and company logo's read both ways.

Spud

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2018, 08:34:06 AM »
The medal was actually made by Fattorini and Son. They went out of business in 1984 and their business taken over by THOMAS Fattorini I contacted Thos Fattorini a couple of days ago in and they have confirmed this to me unfortunately they were unable to give me any further info.
I will say Fattorini were very prompt with their reply but I am sorry I am a little slow in getting back to the Forum.

I am sorry I cannot post a copy of Fattorini's reply but it does contain my Email details I would rather not show these on an open Forum however if James would like me to let him have a copy if  he sends me a PM with his Email address I will forward a copy to him
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

jamesm

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2018, 08:42:14 AM »
Spud, thanks for that, I'm still waiting for them to reply to my query about the medal.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2018, 12:14:14 PM »
James

If you like I could make inquiries on another forum that is more set up to answer this sort of thing. I'm not promising anything but it might be worth a try.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy