Author Topic: Help to identify school  (Read 6686 times)

jamesm

Re: Help to identify school
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2018, 12:21:50 PM »
Phil, if you wouldn't mind. Someone may be able to provide a definitive answer. Thank you.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2018, 02:55:45 PM »
Right James I have done that, a few more heads on the problem can only help even if they cant solve the question either.

I have a question, do we know that it's a school that they were presented from?

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jamesm

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2018, 03:05:15 PM »
Not definitively, but pics of the medals show the words Junior and another one says Form 11 (Eleven or two) which tends to suggest it was a school or college.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2018, 03:11:31 PM »
Yes James I suppose that does pretty well confirm it, to be honest I didn't take too much notice of the backs of the medals and I concentrated on the fronts.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

robx52

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2018, 06:04:04 PM »
Phill thats a good idea.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2018, 06:49:39 PM »
So far I'm getting much the same as has been written here, the Coronet arm & hammer logo was the Suffolk Street badge. Could CSS mean Central Commmercial School, or Central Secondary School, things that have been suggested here. It's early days yet though.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2018, 12:28:16 PM »
James

What is being said in response to my inquiry on the other forum more or less matches what is being said here. They are pretty sure that the school was the Central Secondary School which later became the central grammar school. This is backed up by a post from "pjmburns" (Janice) she posted an image of her husbands Athletic Colours from when he attended Central Grammar and except for the "A" it's the same badge.

The other image is part of a clip from 1934 posted by "Vivienne" concerning the annual secondary schools sports meet which was most likely the meet where these medals were won (only the year before). Quite a few posters responded to the inquiry so I will thank them for their help for you James.

As they came across the same anomaly as we did concerning it being built as a technical school but also being used as a secondary school they are now looking into that as well. So I will let you know of any developments.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jamesm

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2018, 12:49:43 PM »
Well done to everyone involved in solving the mystery. The press cutting was particularly interesting regarding the high jump record being broken as one of the images is from that meeting in 1933 but it's for the long jump.

JudithM

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2018, 01:16:37 PM »
Yay  :)
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2018, 01:24:53 PM »
James

If it interests you, here is the rest of the clipping with all the results so perhaps you can put a name to you medal. I've had to split the clip into two to make it readable on this forum.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jamesm

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2018, 01:27:51 PM »
Phil, thanks for that, it's nice to be able to put a name to an piece of history. O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy