Author Topic: Outer circle  (Read 4618 times)

vamann

Outer circle
« on: March 12, 2018, 09:14:51 AM »
Following Phill's outer circle bus route thread I was wandering how the Drivers and Conductors were rostered.  For example did the same bus stay on the route all day or was it switched after so many miles ?  Likewise did the Driver/Conductor stay on the vehicle for the full length of their shift or were they relieved for breaks etc.  I only ask as I would imagine that the total distance of the outer circle route would have been too far for one Driver/Conductor to cover.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Outer circle
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 10:09:23 AM »
Vanman

I'm afraid I don't know the answers to the issues you have raised, but at just over two hours in time and a distance of around 27 miles I can' see any reason why a driver could not cover at least 3 circuits of the route a day, perhaps even 4.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 10:15:30 AM »

in days gone by when it was two man operation  they would have hang up time out would come the tea can and they would have there rest brake on rout now I'm not sure about this but I think they had a time clock and a key at spots round the rout

I think today they have a change over stop and change drivers one driver on one driver off so if a driver is late getting to change over it comes out of his rest time I think the minimum brake time is 30 minuets(r.t.a) and the max driving time is four hours 30 minuets and the driver must have a rest not sure where he would have is rest may be go in to a café or if there is a garage on rout they would do the change over there   

I  often see the bus driver go in to Tesco café in kiddy on there brake but a different driver has took over there but  some times the bus is parked up for the driver to get his brake  and he takes the same bus out
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

frederick

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 11:11:01 AM »
Thursday we were in Milford Haven the bus came in switch off another came in from a different route and the driver from the first bus did a stopped onto a different route bus. We thought it mite have been to give the driver a break from the same route. In Haverfordwest a car puls up with an fresh driver and the driving the bus gets into the car and drives off. What I have thought is the route down here is a two hour drive and I think what if the driver wants the loo while enroute     :-\
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 12:01:16 PM »
Don't know if Buses have Tachometers but you have to have a break every so often,If you drive lorries you have to take a break every o many hours,and can only drive a certain distance.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Spud

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 04:39:03 PM »
Yes Buses do use Tachographs, the rules of use [PSV375] are different from HGV vehicles
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 06:50:20 PM »
Used to drive for a breakdown get you home company driving. 7 1/2 tonne,didn't have to have a tachometer,4 day on ,4 days off 24 hr shift,
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

vamann

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 07:48:51 AM »
Yes Buses do use Tachographs, the rules of use [PSV375] are different from HGV vehicles
Unless the regulations have changed in the last couple of years buses on service work don't have a Tachograph fitted.  The ticket machine records the drivers start and finish times as well as storing the drivers identity.  Tour coaches do require a Tachograph.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 09:22:18 AM »

a bus driver that I know who is on serves work (stage) has a module that he keeps when he takes over a bus he has to plug it in the ticket m/c put in the rout number his works number  stage number  then when hes done his days work he takes out the module takes in the  office  and plugs it in to a m/c in the office this tells him how much he has to pay in if hes short he has to pay out of his own pocket

this module tells the bus company where he was at what time the speed he was doing its a spy in the cab  it records how Meany tickets sold how Meany passes used and the type of pass 
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

JudithM

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 01:35:23 PM »
Unless the regulations have changed in the last couple of years buses on service work don't have a Tachograph fitted.  The ticket machine records the drivers start and finish times as well as storing the drivers identity.  Tour coaches do require a Tachograph.

I often wonder what the position is with number of hours worked when the bus gets stuck in horrendous traffic.  They must sometimes exceed the number of hours they should be allowed to be driving.  I can't recall ever being told that I need to get off the bus because the driver's shift is finishing (although they do often kick us off if they want to turn the bus around before the terminus so that they can get back on time - which is super annoying).

"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

frederick

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 01:54:41 PM »
I believe that when a bus as passengers the shouldn't reverse. But sometimes they have to it happened one time I was on a bus.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy