Author Topic: Outer circle  (Read 4619 times)

Coastal

Re: Outer circle
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 05:08:25 PM »
In the past I have driven on the Outer Circle and regulated the service both on the road and from a control room, there are often occasions where a vehicle has had to be parked for a drivers required break, usually it's just a case of parking up for 30 minutes or so (depending on the duty times) on very rare extreme occasions, the driver has to be relieved (replaced by another driver)
With most routes (city to outer terminus etc) the break can usually be taken at either end, preferably the outer for obvious reasons.
Do unto others before they do unto you.

dave1954

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 07:59:17 PM »
I remember Drivers/Conductors having a toilet break on route some of them took ages  , Just out of interest how many public toilets were there around the Outer Circle :)

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 08:12:54 PM »
on the 45 bus rout (westheath) at the terminus  by westheath church the diver and clippie would have there brake billycan of tea there was also clock that they would put there key in to now some of the driver would let you get on the bus if it was a bitter cold night and other driver would keep the doors shut and not let you on until it was time to go
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

vamann

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 09:10:30 AM »
a bus driver that I know who is on serves work (stage) has a module that he keeps when he takes over a bus he has to plug it in the ticket m/c put in the rout number his works number  stage number  then when hes done his days work he takes out the module takes in the  office  and plugs it in to a m/c in the office this tells him how much he has to pay in if hes short he has to pay out of his own pocket

this module tells the bus company where he was at what time the speed he was doing its a spy in the cab  it records how Meany tickets sold how Meany passes used and the type of pass
when I worked for First bus we had our individual ace which plugged in to the Almex ticket machine, this recorded our activity for the day and stayed with the driver.  When I briefly worked for Truronian the Ace stayed with the bus.  Nowadays the new ticket machines don't use the same system and presumably can be downloaded remotely by the revenue protection department.  With the almex ticket machine the driver printed off his days workings using the ticket machine in the bus and downloaded the ace into the depot machine at the end of the day, the printout he received just confirmed this download had been completed.

Coastal

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 10:25:39 AM »
When I started for WMPTE we only had a Waybill, a document that was filled in by the driver at the start and finish of a portion (take over and relief)
The last I heard there was a module that slotted into the ticket machine (Wayfarer) the driver again enters their details at the start and finish of a portion, this was handed in when the bus returns to garage, and all the data is downloaded.
It contained details of all transactions, travel cards, concessionary passes and tickets issued.
Do unto others before they do unto you.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 10:41:06 AM »

When I started for WMPTE we only had a Waybill, a document that was filled in by the driver at the start and finish of a portion (take over and relief)
The last I heard there was a module that slotted into the ticket machine (Wayfarer) the driver again enters their details at the start and finish of a portion, this was handed in when the bus returns to garage, and all the data is downloaded.
It contained details of all transactions, travel cards, concessionary passes and tickets issued.

that is what I said in a previous post  he was with at the time midlandred then it was took over by firstbus then took over by diamond  he started of with a waybill

Mrsperfect

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 12:39:41 PM »
My parents met on the buses in the Moseley Road depot. Dad was the driver and Mom the conductor. I know they drove the No.8 (outer circle) route for years. Mom said it took about two hours on average for the outer circle and I think one hour for the inner circle, (No 11?).

Dad used to annoy Mom by riding the kerbs when she used to go up stairs to collect the fares, he thought it was funny. Many a passenger used to complain to her about the driver, saying they wanted to report him and trying to get his badge number but Mom didn't want them to, as she knew he'd lose his bonus, (and part of her housekeeping) if they did!

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 02:20:18 PM »
hi mrs perfect welcome to the forum   no 8 was in inner circle and the number 11 was the outer circle 

countrylad

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2018, 02:39:09 PM »
on the 45 bus rout (westheath) at the terminus  by westheath church the diver and clippie would have there brake billycan of tea there was also clock that they would put there key in to now some of the driver would let you get on the bus if it was a bitter cold night and other driver would keep the doors shut and not let you on until it was time to go
I used to travel that route as a nipper. Many of the bus crews got the Billycan filled at the cafe in Cotteridge. The cafe was situated by the bus stop, Clippy would nip in the cafe and come out with fullBillycan and a packet of sarnies.
Countrylad

Darthdc

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2021, 04:57:12 PM »
All I can say, is that on the C route, the driver stops outside the Warwick in Acocks Green Village for at least 10 min, then swaps with another driver by the garage. It's mighty rare that they don't change drivers by the garage.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy