Author Topic: It's a work of art?  (Read 27264 times)

tramp

Re: It's a work of art?
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 12:58:49 AM »
Phil,

Congratulations, another hole in one...

- bunkered or not they still come out of the rough -

tramp

Dr Robert Laing

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 02:12:02 AM »
Dear Bloggers,

Actually, there are many types of doctor, the M.D. shows Medical Doctorate rather than a Doctor of Psychology etc.

It seems that the idea of art (I'm speaking in general terms), is that it should fit into nice quites homes, or be polite and restrained, and perhaps offer up an untroubled view of the world and its people.  If that's what is required then there are millions of such art objects in the galleries and homes throughout this country, however I suggest that people are strange, weird, dangerous, sometimes 'mad', and actually don't 'fit' into nice polite boxes at all.  It is the job of the artist to look for new ways to open up different exchanges between people and indeed this can be disturbing and uncomfortable, but then so is life.

Regards,

Dr. Laing.

tramp

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 03:08:08 AM »
Dr Laing,

Many of us were already aware that there are many doctorates, my wife is one, M.D. her sister has a Ph.D, and friends include Th.D and D.Min etc.  There are many medical doctors in UK who do not hold a Doctor of Medicine degree yet are consultants, as example London's MB, BS. double bachelor degree is more than sufficient. It is they who may properly write ''Dr. XYZ MB, BS'' though the two I knew just used ''Dr'' at work.

Ph.D is Philosophy, not Psychology, and the latter is not abbreviated in the same way.

The ''job'' of the artist is to portray an aspect(s) of reality and or imagination as he sees appropriate in the context in which he is working.  Among better known painters, Michelangelo, Van Gogh and Picasso chose (or were commissioned) and portrayed very differently yet extremely effectively; they obviously evince and engender deeper emotion on mere canvas or plaster than a couple of tons of scrap. All made lasting social, psychological and other comment, on occasion because they were 'marketing' a viewpoint or reacting to barbarism in Picasso's case for example.

We shall always differ as I think unrecycled, unreutilised scrap is just junk. I've worked with people who do these things so very effectively that it feeds them and their families.  I do not refer to those who would have the car back on the road in a fortnight.   

An earlier question still remains unanswered, what did the car cost, including its relocation and other associated costs?

tramp

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 11:29:19 AM »
Dr Laing,

I for one, am quite happy to be one of the misinformed, and am quite happy to form my own opinion, I do not need self interested so called experts trying to shape or mould my mind into a likethink of their own. I don't like the insinuation that because we don't like something we are misinformed.  By misinformed do we mean uneducated well maybe so, but I know what I like. Can you say that Dr Laing or do you just like what you are paid to write about.

The simple answer to the question "is it art" is,  would we want it on our front lawn. Would you Dr Laing?  I don't think you would, nor I think would any other professed art lover.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Flug

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 09:07:13 PM »
Can it be repaired for less than £20...As I was wrong and it is a Merc Then if the answer is yes, well, place it on my lawn, I'll have it repaired for the 20 quid and then It will be a work of art!

jasper14

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 10:14:27 PM »
  Mr Laing,
  I am an old and old fashioned person, that which I like is my opinion
BUT in my opinion the crashed car is a load of rubbish,as was the heap of bricks,a sheep in a glass container.......Unadulterated trash,rubbish etc and
an insult to the ordinary man in the street..the so called experts try to con
people, being many miles from this "work of art" I will not be viewing and
from the picture feel glad i,m here and its there...........I am sorry for the
ones who live in its vicinity such an eyesore................

Bannion

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2008, 08:06:36 AM »
I believe that the "Robert Laing" has done what he intended here.  He has caused right minded people to take a note of who he and "Karen Novotny" are up to.

Must be honest I fell for him.  I have done some research on them and the artists who are appearing and so called exhibiting in Bourneville.  I am dismayed at myself for doing so for I considered myself a sensible person, generally.    I have only one printable word to express about what I have read and I am sure it is one that a majority of Brums or wherever else they may originate and that is "Tosh".

Don't advocate it, for it will put you in my stupid league, but I checked out one of his artists.  One Andrew Hunt who teaches 'art' at Camberwell.
Well he is currently dressing in uniform and has been lying 'dead still' on the pavement in New Street to get people thinking? (and of course advertising this 'exhibition' at Bournville).  Amongst his other escapades is pushing a peanut along the road and being pushed in a shopping trolley up to Scotland.  All in the name of art????  Now I ask who is off their trolley.
His next is connected to Richard Madley hands and France.  I will say no more for I do not wish to give more credibility to his 'art'   But should anyone be interested he will work for a commission.

Enough.  After the 31st May we will hear no more of Laing.  His exhibition moves from town so Christopher may be minded that his space on this site could be further enhanced by deleting his details for he will not be returning.

Now as a parting comment.   In my 'research' I think I read correctly that Robert Laing and Karen Novotny were characters in a James Graham Ballard's book.  Think I read it correctly.

So Laing if you read this you have one person, on this site, who has learned a little more of Ballard and his background - mission accomplished but please move your rubbish when you ride out of town at the end of the month.   

jasper14

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2008, 08:28:51 AM »

Mr Laing......

All the worlds daft lad, except thee and me and I have my doubts about thee

My art is that which my grandchildren drew for me when in Kindergarten...
THAT is True art,straight from the heart............

Flug

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2008, 08:49:38 AM »
Straight from the he(ART)........Yep I can do that too Jasper!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2008, 12:11:03 PM »
Bannion

Well done, as you say by discussing this further we are pandering to the wishes of the purveyors of this "Tosh".  Obviously anyone who dumps a wreck in full view in a suburban village setting and calls it art is seeking publicity.

That aside my main objections were and are is why our money is being wasted on this rubbish. I must admit that I have never read any of J.G.Ballard's writing but I do have a DVD of the film "Crash" and have to say it was utter tripe and I switched it off after 20 minutes.

I would further add that I am not keen on anyone coming on site and saying we are ill informed and I don't care in what context or capacity they say it, because ill informed is generally equated to ignorant and ill educated.  Anyone saying that is going to get my attention.

Like yourself Bannion, not wanting to give these people what they want , this will be my last words on this subject.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2008, 12:32:25 PM »
And my last words are ''does his obvious ignorance of art extend to not knowing the answer to the question already asked,
'what did the car cost, including its relocation and other associated costs?' ''

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy