Author Topic: City Circle Number 19 Route.  (Read 13418 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
City Circle Number 19 Route.
« on: March 20, 2018, 02:44:29 PM »
I have decided to make the number 19 route my next project. As I have stated I actually know very little about this route. I have done a little research and with the help of a bus stage published in 1964 which also gives the fares I have come up with what I think is a reasonable description of the route .

According to Malcolm Keeleys book Birmingham Buses the 19 route commenced on March 2nd 1932 and served the many factories along it's route. It ran every 10 minutes on weekdays and every 20 minutes on Sunday. Though during the 60's when industry started to thin out there was less call for the route and it was abandoned not long after the list of bus stages I am posting here was published.

This is the route of the service as best as I have been able to find, so please if I make any errors, ten by all means please tell me.

Benacre Street
Great Colmore Street
Granville Street
Broad Street
Sheepcote Street
St Vincent Street
Summer Hill
Powell Street
Albion Street
Fredrick Street
Vyse Street
Well Street
New John Street
Aston Road
Dartmouth Street
Lawley Street
Watery Lane
Adderley Street
Bordesley High Street
Alcester Street
Vaughton Street
Gooch Street
Benacre Street.

Added later

On further reading about this route, I find that it in fact continued to provide a service until 1972 at least though it was mostly short workings by then (part routes).

I will shortly be making a start on this route after I have had chance to gather further information. Please if you have anything to add, then by all means do so. All I ask is that you keep on topic and keep to the section of the route that we are on at the moment. If you miss the section that interests you, if you wait until the end of the route you can add what you want to say there, or if I can answer your question or find a photo for you then that is the place to ask.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

RoyMcC

Re: City Circle Number 19 Route.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 06:14:52 PM »
Should be an interesting look at Brum's industrial heritage. I can almost see and smell the early morning buses with the working men damp, flat caps, collars up, smoking and coughing every one. My Dad worked for years in an Adderley Street factory after he rocked up in Brum in the early 50s. Looking forward to this Phil.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 06:53:42 PM »
Remember as a child my dad taking me down past Adderly park to catch the 19 to take me to the Kingston picture house on the Coventry Rd,and have to walk home with me on his shoulders because there was no late bus
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Scipio

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 09:56:30 PM »
Phil it seems strange that there is no mention of Barford Rd or Icknield Port Rd in the list on here and yet I know it was the number 19, I got on to pay the neighbours hp for her telly
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

dave1954

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 10:20:48 PM »
Am i right in remembering the 19 only run peak hours meaning when people went to work and came home again  :o and maybe Saturday mornings ...

Scipio

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 10:27:20 PM »

Am i right in remembering the 19 only run peak hours meaning when people went to work and came home again  :o and maybe Saturday mornings ...

Dave1954 I used to get on it about 10.00am Saturday morning to get to Dudley Rd and then back again and if it was raining on a Satrurday afternoon we'd catch it to either get to the Crown or the Ledsam . I used to get on in Granville St , because I used to live in
William St . I used to see it during the week but had no reason to catch it then
Mark Twain

dave1954

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 11:47:45 PM »
think i only saw the no19 city circle twice , once crossing Newtown row where it went up new john street  and crossing somewhere in Deritend ???  , I imagined the service was scrapped somewhere around the early 1970s :o

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 07:59:59 PM »
Taking a little longer than I thought it would to put this route together. I want to make sure I can complete the route before I start.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 08:42:55 PM »

Taking a little longer than I thought it would to put this route together. I want to make sure I can complete the route before I start.

Take all the time you want Phil , I'm sure it will be up to your usual lever of excellence
Mark Twain

wideload

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 08:55:48 PM »

Back in the 1950's my dad used to catch the city circle in Granville street to go to work in Frederick street and Saturday afternoon we would both catch it to go down the Blues but I think that one was a football special and the actual service finished Sat.lunchtime until Mon. morning.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 10:49:58 AM »
Oddly enough I have just past Frederick Street in my research, but it's good to know I am on the right route. It won't be long now before I'm on Waterey Lane and by the Blues Ground. Though the information I have says it was a 10 minute service 6 days a week and a 20 minute service on a Sunday. Perhaps it changed to a monday to friday service near the end of it's time before being cancelled altogether?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy