Author Topic: Borstal  (Read 16727 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Borstal
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2018, 07:44:08 PM »
in the 1950s I went to buy a pen knife from a sports shop they would not sell me one told me to get my mom or dad to come with me
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Scipio

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2018, 08:33:47 PM »

in the 1950s I went to buy a pen knife from a sports shop they would not sell me one told me to get my mom or dad to come with me

Yes Roy that's the way it should be done , but these little ******* , know a mate of a mate of a mate that keeps them, mores the pity
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

countrylad

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2018, 09:03:07 PM »
Reading through the last few posts took me back to when I was about 8 or 9 years old. I moved to a council housing estate on the edge of Brum. It was heaven for me as it was right on the edge of the countryside.

All us kids that played over the fields had a knife. Some would have a pen knife and some had sheath knives. I remember buying my sheath knife from the iron mongers on the Redditch Rd almost opposite Patrick Motors, I was 10 at the time. The last thing on my mind was to stick that knife in someone. The nearest that knife got to someone other than me was one of my mates when we played 'Split'. Other times I would try to throw it into a tree without success or make points on sticks and use them as javelins. They were great times.
countrylad

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2018, 11:10:57 PM »
At the time my favourite was the caterpult
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

frederick

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2018, 12:18:25 PM »
Early 60s we went to Margate and there were a crowd of mods parked up and having a walk around, that was the only time I saw a crowd mods......there was no trouble with them not with us anyway.    O0
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Scipio

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2018, 08:45:45 PM »

Early 60s we went to Margate and there were a crowd of mods parked up and having a walk around, that was the only time I saw a crowd mods......there was no trouble with them not with us anyway.    O0

Yes and do you know why Frederick ? In those days we never went out with the thought of harming a person or carrying a weapon.
Whatever mayhem we may have caused in those long summer days gone by , I bet in the whole decade of Mods and Rockers there weren't as many people killed as what there are nowadays in cities ,knife crime here is on a par with gun crime in Chicago, as much as I hate to say it
Mark Twain

emerald

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2018, 06:40:36 PM »
We played stretch with a knife. You would throw the knife into the ground and have to stretch your leg that far. Nobody was stabbed and i dont think anyone got knifed in the foot.  The police are a joke. We had one bobby on the beat when i was young and he was strict. Someone wrote their name on a street sign and was put in a cell for the night.      I am angry about thugs covering their faces with balaclavas and hoodies and going on tv. What should we do with them. There is no respect for anyone and i wouldn't like to be a teacher these days.

countrylad

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2018, 07:23:20 PM »
Lad of 12 and one of 15 shot in London this afternoon.

Scipio

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2018, 08:40:40 PM »

Lad of 12 and one of 15 shot in London this afternoon.

Countrylad whereas you and I and  possibly the greater number of this forum can look back with innocence and satisfaction as to what we have or what we are going to achieve in our Autumn days . How do you think these people who have killed someone once they reach the Autumn of their days will feel . My other question is why are people so easily attracted to the bad things in life , I'm sure like me you would get more of a buzz from doing someone a good turn instead of killing them.
Mark Twain

countrylad

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2018, 09:42:11 PM »
Scipio, only a few weeks ago I was talking to my neighbour about what is going on in the world. I said to him, I'd rather do someone some good than do them harm. That's my philosophy in life. As well as looking after myself from a safety angle. Rather than been taken for a mug!

I'm not sure how some folks will feel in their Autumn years. However I have been privileged to be with people when they are taking their last few breaths. I say privileged because there is nothing more poinient and personal than the end of life.

From experience I have found that most pass away peacefully. Whilst some have been carrying a 'burden' for many years and this usually comes out. The best way I can describe it is a complete unloading. Almost a confession!

I am never sure if this enables the person to let go of what they have ben carrying for so long, or whether they are asking for forgiveness.

I see another 17 year old was shot dead while playing football in the park in Southeast London yesterday afternoon. Just think what those parents must be going through...
Will it ever stop?
countrylad

Scipio

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2018, 10:38:06 PM »

Scipio, only a few weeks ago I was talking to my neighbour about what is going on in the world. I said to him, I'd rather do someone some good than do them harm. That's my philosophy in life. As well as looking after myself from a safety angle. Rather than been taken for a mug!

I'm not sure how some folks will feel in their Autumn years. However I have been privileged to be with people when they are taking their last few breaths. I say privileged because there is nothing more poinient and personal than the end of life.

From experience I have found that most pass away peacefully. Whilst some have been carrying a 'burden' for many years and this usually comes out. The best way I can describe it is a complete unloading. Almost a confession!

I am never sure if this enables the person to let go of what they have ben carrying for so long, or whether they are asking for forgiveness.

I see another 17 year old was shot dead while playing football in the park in Southeast London yesterday afternoon. Just think what those parents must be going through...
Will it ever stop?
countrylad

I agree completely with that Countrylad,
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy