Author Topic: Borstal  (Read 16730 times)

frederick

Re: Borstal
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2018, 07:30:23 AM »
Townie,
What did the kids do to be sent to borstal.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2018, 08:42:04 AM »

iv just been reading about this borstal  it made interesting reading

Originally, in Victorian times, the Felt-ham institution was set up as an industrial school, but in recent years it has become a dumping ground for the most difficult and disturbed type of young offenders—the ones with which other institutions find it quite impossible to deal. The official description of the place is

a training borstal with psychiatric unit attached. More and more disturbed lads are being sent to Feltham. In the opinion of the staff it has become more or less a psychiatric institution, or, as one popular
newspaper put it recently, "a nutters' borstal"

I think the word nutters might upset the snowflakes (tree huggers) and the new word on the block is gammons
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

robx52

« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2018, 09:05:45 AM »
I think it would upset anyone with mental illness, and the people looking after them.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2018, 11:03:46 AM »
Roy

From what I was told about Feltham. I think it was a place that they sent all the openly Gay young offenders because being Gay was looked on as an illness back then and they couldn't have gays mixing with the rest on those sentenced to BT because they might catch the sickness. Though in reality it was supposed to be for those who suffered from an ongoing illness. I knew somebody who went there because he suffered from Asthma. On release he would never tell anybody he went to Feltham for fear of being branded homosexual.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2018, 12:43:57 PM »

hi phil they may well have done that but I have to say I know a family that had a young brother sent to Feltham borstal  this would be about 1962 I think  I did not know the lad him self just his brother he got sent there for picking up a house brick and beating the hell out of a police man at the bottom of hope street I think it was due to his age that he did not go to prison we was working together in summer lane at the time

he got sent at first to the green then on to the scrubs in London then to the borstal he went to see him in London a few times I said to him what the hell made him do that he, hes off his fffffff head my moms at her wits end with him but I do not think its just for gay lads I think now it was for all young lads with mental health    and he and my self both said he got some thing missing

GardenGerald

« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2018, 01:25:51 PM »
Out of interest how many of you have been inside an Approved School, Detention Centre, Borstal or Young Offenders Institute.
Gerald.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2018, 01:36:05 PM »
iv been round brochill and also round the grange in Redditch  I must say not a nice place to be but the house at the grange was nice

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2018, 03:06:07 PM »
Roy

You misunderstood what I  said, Yes Fentham Borstal was for young offenders with illnesses and because back in those unenlightened times the authorities thought if you were gay then you must be ill so you were sent to Fentham. Most of the young offenders themselves classed those sent to Fentham as gay or mental so they tried to hide any illness they suffered from to avoid being sent there. I was told this by a few lads that had done Borstal Training and by the lad who had done his time at Fentham because of his Asthma.

I also knew a couple of lads that unusually did their time at Hewell Grange and their route was via Winson Green, to Wormswood Scrubs where they were allocated which Borstal they would be sent to. When I said it was unusual I said it because they liked to send these young lads far away from home to discourage any ideas of making their way back home, but in the 60's I think they began to realise that these lads as young as 14 could hot wire a car and be home in hours.

I never worked in a Borstal, but we had contracts in Winson Green Prison and Stafford Prison in the 70's Winson Green was full of YP's on their way to Borstal and Stafford was full of YP's doing between 6 and 12 months. I spoke to many of them during that time.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2018, 04:19:26 PM »

on this photo where I have put the cross was the main entrance to the nick you drove in and they shut the big gates behind you.  you had to get out of your cab and if you had a phone hand it in unless it was fixed in the cab then one of the officers would then get in the cab with you and the other door would open and let you in the  inner nick then there was a short drive up to some more gates  then you would be took to the part of the nick to make your delivery you did not get out of the cab unless you was asked to the inmates then would unload you  then he would come back with you to the exit and out you would go you then had to stop on the inside of the gates and they would go over your truck and look underneath  once that was done the big gates would open and out you went

townie

« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2018, 01:35:37 PM »

Townie,
What did the kids do to be sent to borstal.

That would be telling.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Scipio

« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2018, 08:43:42 PM »

The Borstol System was abolished in 1982 and replaced with Youth Custody Centres

As regards Football it sounds from previous post that Judith or Edmund follow Football let alone have ever played the game no player goes on the field to deliberately break another players legs. Yes there are some hard tackles but this is a contact sport. The number of serious injuries during a season is really quite small considering the number of games. I played competetive football from the age of 10 until I was around 37 and only once had a bad injury this was when I went into a tackle and came off worse but no way would I blame the opposing player.

Spud just read your reply, you class football as a contact sport , you obviously play a different game to the pro's . Reason I say that when you see the so called tackle nowadays  the professional go within in about ten foot then decide against it, tackle over . It's got nothing on Rugby as a contact sport
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy