Author Topic: Borstal  (Read 16728 times)

Scipio

Re: Borstal
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2018, 09:10:05 PM »

HMP Rochester (Borstal Prison) was run by the prison service. as were all Borstal Training Schools (named. after Borstal Prison. As there were none of these institutions within the boundaries of Birmingham I hardly see a thread about Birmingham being the correct place to discuss these establishments. Though I was quite willing to let it remain, but if we are now going off on a tangent about football then I might have to remove it elsewhere. In effect what I am saying is bring the thread back on topic.

Phil you will have to blame me for that putting on the wrong thread sorry
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2018, 11:21:53 AM »
Scipio

As I stated I was happy to leave the thread where it was, as long as it included Birmingham in it's posts, but I had to object when it started to turn into a thread about football.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2018, 11:29:09 AM »

Scipio

As I stated I was happy to leave the thread where it was, as long as it included Birmingham in it's posts, but I had to object when it started to turn into a thread about football.

No problem Phil I agree entirely
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

townie

« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2018, 03:07:38 PM »
hi phil they may well have done that but I have to say I know a family that had a young brother sent to Feltham borstal  this would be about 1962 I think  I did not know the lad him self just his brother he got sent there for picking up a house brick and beating the hell out of a police man at the bottom of hope street I think it was due to his age that he did not go to prison we was working together in summer lane at the time

he got sent at first to the green then on to the scrubs in London then to the borstal he went to see him in London a few times I said to him what the hell made him do that he, hes off his fffffff head my moms at her wits end with him but I do not think its just for gay lads I think now it was for all young lads with mental health    and he and my self both said he got some thing missing

Roy for someone who didn't know the lad himself you have a very remarkable memory. To remember that the lad was sent to the Green and then to the Scrubbs for allocation after nearly 60 years.   
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

bobbyblue

« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2018, 10:23:17 AM »
They call it generation degeneration where each successive generation is worse than the previous one.  The fear of authority has vanished from these young yobs , it all started with the lax discipline in the schools where the teachers were not allowed to punish children, just look at the case of about twenty kids on pushbikes taking the whole of the Coventry Road in Sheldon up doing wheelies and stopping the traffic last weekend, they had an average age of about 12, no police about to stop them and nobody could do anything to stop them without getting into trouble, the scales have tipped too far the way of the offender, places like Borstal and detention centres should be brought back before it's too late.  Rant over.
Bobbyblue

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2018, 10:41:49 AM »
bobbyblue

The problem was that these institutions didn't do the job and a larger percentage re-offended on release than those who were rehabilitated. The only use that they were was these young people couldn't re-offend whilst they were locked up. It was a bit like preventative detention and not corrective training that it was supposed to be. Both systems that were tried with adults in the prison system that didn't work either and they were abandoned.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy