Author Topic: Where did all the senior citizens come from on here?  (Read 7920 times)

spyro2000

Where did all the senior citizens come from on here?
« on: May 23, 2006, 12:50:46 PM »
Not being funny, this is a serious question. Im just wondering why there seems to be a majority of senior citizens on the forum. There is nothing wrong with it, its just different. Most forums I have seen usually have a younger age range 20s 30s etc.

Its good to see you on here, certainly makes a change.

For those who are over 65, cn I ask how you came across the internet and did you find it easy to get to grips with what would have been a new technology?
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1

Rupert

Re: Where did all the senior citizens come from on here?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 01:46:31 PM »
 65 year olds grew up with the personal computer in their workplace. Right from the early hand held calculators, through the Comodore and PC clones of all types. So probably for most of us familiarity is no problem. Anyway apart from a few aches and pains I don't think of myself as a senior. Being out of the workplace though it is a little harder to keep up with ongoing technology but a lot of it is GAMES related and totally of no interest to me. Using this media to meet others and make friends even a world away and research information about things that interest me at different times is super. I wonder how many other seniors see it this way.
  I think that you have to look at an older age group to find the category that you write about. Those who were coming to the end of their employment when modern technology was in it's infancy and so did not become involved. If they are on line we have to take our hats off to them for pushing themselves to get involved.
  Maybe the younger generation make contact through internet gaming and to some extent find writing, what amounts to a letter on the screen, to someone a little boring. I personally find the reverse to be the case. Nice talking to you.
Regards.

bossd

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 06:06:03 PM »
Classic, absolutely classic, thought it was just me thinking id walked into www.retirementforum.co.uk.

No offence oldies, eh, you wouldn't have been spoken to in that way in your day would you!!!!

lol
The world is yours

Graham

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 07:09:29 PM »
Hi all,

I was into electric and electronics in the 50's! Always had an iquiring mind and wanted to know then how it all worked. In 1957 I was in the Air Training Corps, 792 Squadron Hall Green, and even managed to fiddle a private visit to RAF Gaydon, then an operational bomber command station. There I was allowed into a Handly Page Victor V bomber flight simulator, I was only 13! Afterwards I was show round the computer that was driving the whole thing. This was then with relays and valves, not a transistor in sight. At home I was building my own radio's and had a huge arial on the roof complete with flashing aircraft warning lights!

Despite all this I made cycling my profesion but was still fascinated by computors and electronics. So in the early 70's, PC's were just coming onto the home market, I started on a three year engineering course in industrial electronics, (in Flemish at that), just for the fun of finding out how it all works these days. Passed top of the class even though everything was in a foreign language.

To keep this short and to the point, in the 90's I became a grandad and realizing how important the computor was going to become for the next generations bought a modern PC purely with the intention of passing on my knowledge to my grand kids. That's how I became involved with the PC and internet. The two oldest grand sons are now 13 and 15 and if I have any problems with my PC I get them in to solve my problems! The 13 year old has been called a "wiz kid" by his teachers and is far too advanced for his years, and gets bored stiff at school. You just can't win can you?

Graham.

john2000

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 08:16:13 PM »
Hi"Bossd, Naa, we oldes have a thick skin, because we all know that one day you will be our age, and remember, "life is like a river " stand still and you'll drown, I'm 66 years old, so I'm told, and Graham, poor old sod, he's knocking on too, but I bet he can still get some miles under his belt, when youre our age, you just slow down a little thats all, we are like old cars, we've done the miles,been bashed on bumpy roads and the thing the ladies look forward to is that the ride takes twice as long........... I'll let you work that one out yourself..  ;).John 2000
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

bossd

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 08:40:06 PM »
Fair play guys. Nice to see you can take a bit of baiting aswell ;D ;)
The world is yours

wakadowakado

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 07:55:39 PM »
Becuse it is Zimmer-frame friendly

Wakawalker

chas35

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 08:55:24 PM »
I am 66 I just worked on word processing until retirement and love typing so no probs with letters etc, put all my grand kids piccies onto computer, do my shopping on the net and look up all sorts of stuff - love it.  Diane

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 09:50:33 PM »
I was using a form of PC in 1980 whilst these so called computer wiz kids were still being pushed around in their prams.

Sadly they are now out of their prams and into their latest cool performance car.

Such is life, at least I know old age will eventually call on them as well.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 10:22:59 PM »
And if I knew then, what I know now.... I'd be rich......... :D
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 11:09:06 PM »
we might be past our sell by date but we do keep up with things  i find running a bit tuff

and i know I'm getting old because when i fall over and I'm on the floor i look for some thing to do wile I'm down there
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy