Author Topic: Moland Street, Birmingham  (Read 3209 times)

andreacampbell

Moland Street, Birmingham
« on: May 12, 2018, 08:27:10 PM »
Hi, I am researching the history of Moland Street in Birmingham and particularly interested in anyone who has images from any time period. I would also be keen to talk to anyone who worked at Unigate or has any information about the depot that was on there. Thank you

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Moland Street, Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 09:33:05 PM »
Hi Andrea Welcome to the forum, first let me tell you that images of Moland Street are in short supply, I have a few that I can share with you and if they are for research purposes only then you should be fine, but if you intend to publish them in any way I would suggest you try to find out more about them before doing so.

These ones show the junction of Aston Street and Moland Street and a couple of the back courts that were within that street.

I can't tell you much about the street other than the cutting through of Corporation Street in the early 20th century took a sizable piece of it and the building of Aston Technical College in the middle of that century took almost all of the rest of it only leaving the little bit that remains today.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 09:35:48 PM »
Andrea,

When you say Unigate Dairy I assume that id the same as Midland County's Dairy, which was replaced by Unigate I suppose. These two images date back to the 1930's.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

andreacampbell

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 09:51:34 PM »
Hi Phil

Many thanks for the kind welcome. These photos are superb. I work on Moland Street/Bagot Street and am trying to do some research into what was on the site prior to the building I now work in. I know alot about the Penworks Factory as it's one of the two buildings I manage and there is a lot written about it but very little about the other area on Moland Street.

I visited Birmingham Library today and found the road was created as a street between 1785 and 1792 as it appears on the latter map but not the earlier one although the land is marked out as an area for building on 1785 map.

Time to start filling in all the blanks - it's only about 225 years!!  ;D

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 10:06:10 PM »
Andrea

If you work in a building at the junction of Moland Street / Bagot Street if you tell me what side or the location of the building I might be able to tell you what was there previously. This was that end of Moland Street in the 1890's.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

andreacampbell

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 10:36:30 PM »
Hi Phil, I've uploaded 2 images. One from 1847 that I found today and one current one showing where I work now. The red square is the location of John Mitchell's Pen work factory and the blue square is where I'm trying to research. Thanks Andrea

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 12:00:38 AM »
Andrea,

A far as I can make it out we are talking about numbers 68 to 80 Moland Street, I've looked in the directory's and from the late 1800's until they cut through the lower end of corporation street there wasn't much change. There was a Brass Foundry, an Iron Foundry with some houses and shops fronting some back courts similar to the ones you have photos of.

I can come up to the 1970's if you want me to, just let me know in the morning.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Ianwest

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 08:26:10 AM »
Did you make any progress with researching Moland St? My wife,s ancestors were brass founders in 1841-1855 living at no 79 and there is an interesting description of the area in the current book about Jack the Rippers victims. The 4th casualty Kate Eddowes lived briefly in Moland St with her Uncle Tom Eddowes, barefist fighter of BIRMINGHAM.

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2022, 11:09:29 PM »
My great grandparents lived at 96 Moland Street, and my grandmother was born there.  My great grandparents were Joseph and Phoebe Binns (her maiden name was Hammond), and my grandmother was Phoebe Matilda Binns.  It would be good to hear from anyone who has any information about them. Many thanks.  Steve

Su

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2022, 05:08:32 PM »
My ancestors lived on Moland St in 1851. Great to see the posts about it.
Thanks

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy