Author Topic: Formula E in Brum  (Read 1916 times)

andy21a

Formula E in Brum
« on: May 14, 2018, 09:49:44 AM »
Forgive me if this is a repost, I did search :)

Grand Prix-style road racing is set to return to British streets after almost 30 years.
The Formula 3000 Super Prix attracted crowds of thousands when it was staged in Birmingham between 1986 and 1990.
It was the first event of its kind, in which drivers navigated a course along closed city roads at up to 200mph.

West Midlands Mayor Andy Street said he was in "advanced talks" over staging a 2019 leg of the all-electric Formula E series
He said the "symbolic" event, featuring battery-powered racing cars, would put Birmingham alongside the likes of Paris, Berlin and Zurich.
"Like many Brummies, I remember the original Super Prix fondly," he said.
"Photos and footage from those events have become almost part of folklore and remind us of how those events thrust the city firmly into the spotlight."
The Conservative mayor added: "This will be the UK's race and it's brilliant that it's here rather than in any other UK city.

Thoughts?

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Formula E in Brum
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 10:01:53 AM »
I remember the last time and I think it was brilliant the city come alive  it cost a lot of money to put on but it reaped big rewords  it put us on the map bring it on I say  O0 O0 
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

andy21a

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 10:19:11 AM »
I remember the last time and I think it was brilliant the city come alive  it cost a lot of money to put on but it reaped big rewords  it put us on the map bring it on I say  O0 O0

I quite agree, it would be nice to see Martin Hone's dream become a reality. I wonder if they still have the barriers and armco stored away somewhere?

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 10:47:07 AM »

going back all them years I remember letters being sent to the local papers regarding the  smell and the disruption to the local residents   one resident said I was a prisoner in my own home for a few days  but on the other hand one resident who lived in high rise flats said what a view we had the family come round and sat looking at the race out of our windows we got the best seats in the house

so you just can not win them all O0   O0 bring it on 
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Spud

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 11:20:07 AM »
I went to the old Gran Prix as a guest sat opposite the Pits in Bristol  Street. Great day out
As regards Formula E bring it on but lets show the best bits of Brum. My Son In Law has acted a scrutineer for this type of event so he will keep us up dated
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

JudithM

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 12:58:39 PM »
I posted about this in one of the other threads where the Super Prix was mentioned (possibly the Number 8 bus route thread).

I got really excited as I love Formula E, but in today's news it's saying that the announcement was 'premature' and rather than there being 'advanced talks' as Andy Street said, Councillor Ian Ward has said there hasn't even been a discussion with the Formula E body and "This is an interesting idea", he said, "but the people of Birmingham would need to be consulted and any announcement before we have heard the views of citizens is premature".

Andy Street hasn't commented.

Grrrr!
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 01:17:56 PM »
What the hell is Ian Ward on about, it's not up to the people to decide ,he was elected to the council to make decisions.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

JudithM

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 01:41:45 PM »
What the hell is Ian Ward on about, it's not up to the people to decide ,he was elected to the council to make decisions.
Who knows, I can't remember being consulted on whether we should hold the bike races that close the streets, or the marathons.....

Perhaps he just doesn't like motor racing  ;D
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Scipio

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 10:19:19 PM »
To be honest Andy I didn't think cars racing had ever left Birmingham streets , open your windows , then just listen . Every other son of a gun is an aspiring Lewis Hamilton .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

andy21a

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 10:50:18 PM »
To be honest Andy I didn't think cars racing had ever left Birmingham streets , open your windows , then just listen . Every other son of a gun is an aspiring Lewis Hamilton .
I have to agree with you Scipio ... they have the cars, but most have the driving talent of Neil Hamilton!

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 11:35:32 PM »
We have car racing every day were I live,it's like Monaco here
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy