Author Topic: Birmingham as it is now, what do you like or dislike?  (Read 8064 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Birmingham as it is now, what do you like or dislike?
« on: May 14, 2018, 01:28:47 PM »
The new Birmingham, not just the city centre but the whole of Birmingham. Have you anything that  you dislike or is there anything that you think is much better?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

blueblizzard

Re: Birmingham as it is now, what do you like or dislike?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 03:25:40 PM »
The last time i had the pleasure of walking up New St it reminded me of the Monty Python film "life of brian" every 20 yards somebody seemed to want you to embrace their particular faith,,,,,,,,not sure why these people are more intent on changing other peoples lives than getting on with their own.
Don't take life so seriously,,,nobody gets out alive anyway

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 03:47:16 PM »
To much Glass,looks cheap,wonder what they'll put on the wholesale mkt site.Something for the Commonwealth games like a cycling arena,
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 03:48:32 PM »
Blueblizzard

What you say is very possibly true, but I was more interested in finding out peoples opinion on the buildings, architecture, layout, street art and furnishings of present Birmingham as opposed to that of the sixties for. instance. I have several dislikes myself, the main one being the new library that cost so much we can't even afford to keep it open, the next one stands in front of it and is that is the terrible sculpture by Gillian Wearing thankfully it has been removed because of ongoing works, hopefully it will stay in storage and not be put back when the work is done.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 04:00:12 PM »
Must say not seen much of the centre of Brum only the fish & meat MKTS .Last time I went up Broad St,went to register my brothers death 5 years ago when they were building the library it looked awful as we drove past in a taxi.Its to late know with these modern Architects they've ruined a lovely city with their big ideas.

Spud

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 04:07:44 PM »
I am very much a City Person I like Grand Central The Bull Ring Centre and I know that I am at odds with Phil about the new Library  but on a balmy Summers Night turning out of The Rep or The Magnificent Symphony Hall you are a million miles away from the old Brum. Pity about Broad St but it does bring 1000s in to Brum  so some must enjoy it but to see young girls face down in the gutter or propped up against a wall evacuating the contents of their stomachs is not the image of Birmingham I Like to see but get into Brindley Place or the Canal area it really appeals to me.
Leaving the City Centre behind when are we going to clear up the likes of Sparkbrook Alum Rock etc
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 05:08:34 PM »
Spud

I like Symphony Hall and The Rep and have visited both when there was something on that I liked, no complaints there.

I like The Bull Ring Centre even if it is nothing like what I remember, there are parts of the Bull Ring itself that I dislike , it's name for instance it's the Bull Ring not the Bullring.

As for Broad Street, as far as I can tell it's no different to any other part of any large city that has an entertainment centre. It's certainly no different to abroad if what I used to see on TV when I watched it was correct.

The thing is the kids today are no different to the kids we were, the only difference being they have more money. Also when we were kids in the few pubs, clubs, and dance halls we used the first sign of being drunk and we were shown the door in no uncertain terms. Today in these places along Broad Street they are designed t squeeze every penny they can out of the kids. If someone falls over they are just picked up and offered another drink.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 08:10:06 PM »

the question is what do you like or dislike about Birmingham town  centre  a lot depends on who you are asking or what you are asking       do you like the new buildings the young would say yes because they do not know any different when I was young did I like the town centre  well I must admit it did not make any difference to me it was what it was  iv said before I have seen three different bullrings in my life time on reflection  yes I think I do like  the new look its up to date its clean  and its easy to get about a lot of the old buildings are still there  the only building that I do not much care for is  what I call the book cage ( library)

broad street is fine for the young  they all seem to be in one place when I was young I would prefer to be with folk of my own age  so I think its a yes from me I like what I see
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 09:21:08 PM »
Roy

Can I just point out that it's not just the town centre I was asking about but the whole of Birmingham.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 11:14:21 PM »
Phil it's being taken over.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 11:30:11 PM »

hi phil

in my case I do not see much of brum now when I go to the q/e I go by train its cheaper than paying the car park fees  so I do not see much of it  but like every  town its got two faces the face you see when driving and the face you see when you live there but for me I just could not live there now because iv been away for so long its just to fast going for me  but what I do not like is the traffic  that Bristol road is madness  and I'm told its much the same with all the main roads in to the city  apart from that I should think its ok
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy