Author Topic: Birmingham as it is now, what do you like or dislike?  (Read 8022 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Birmingham as it is now, what do you like or dislike?
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 11:35:00 PM »
Phil it's being taken over.

Being taken over by what?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 09:52:33 AM »
You know what I mean but can't say out loud.See there was a bit of a confrontation at the weekend,it's spreading everywhere and getting worse.Glad I won't be here in 25 years time.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

JudithM

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 01:56:54 PM »

What you say is very possibly true, but I was more interested in finding out peoples opinion on the buildings, architecture, layout, street art and furnishings of present Birmingham as opposed to that of the sixties for. instance. I have several dislikes myself, the main one being the new library that cost so much we can't even afford to keep it open, the next one stands in front of it and is that is the terrible sculpture by Gillian Wearing thankfully it has been removed because of ongoing works, hopefully it will stay in storage and not be put back when the work is done.

I don't like the new library building that much (haven't been inside so I'm only judging on the appearance), I do like that statue though - a couple of women & their kids having a bit of fun (modelled on 2 sisters if I remember correctly).  At least it's better than the orange fibre glass style one that was there before (didn't some kids set fire to it?)

I'm just fed up of all the road narrowing & temporary lights & pedestrian diversions round there.  I wish they'd get a hurry on and finish it all  :P

Personally, I also think Grand Central is already looking tatty too.  I walked through the other day and when I looked up in the atrium all the glass was so dirty with dust & bird poop - there were even several seagull bottoms so I guess they roost there.  A fair few of the mirrored parts outside are also looking tarnished.  I suspect there may be a large repair bill soon.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 04:31:54 PM »
Judith,it will only get worse in preparation for the Commonwealth Games.Good luck ::)
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 05:34:45 PM »
Judith

I don't dislike the sculpture as a piece of art, it's artistically very good. It's what it's supposed to represent that I object to.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 01:30:43 PM »
Judith,it will only get worse in preparation for the Commonwealth Games.Good luck ::)

At least there is a specific date for the Commonwealth Games.  The work will have to be finished by then.   ;D

Some of the other stuff just seems open ended.

JudithM

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 01:32:36 PM »
Judith

I don't dislike the sculpture as a piece of art, it's artistically very good. It's what it's supposed to represent that I object to.

The Modern Family thing?  I guess it is a reflection on society really.  If there weren't so many single parent families then it would be irrelevant I guess.

Joewoen

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 05:26:56 PM »
Hi Phil.

I like the pedestrianisation of New Street and High Street. I like the dismantling of the inner ring road and making it more people friendly without the subways. It also increases the size of the city centre. I would have liked the observation tower built at Millennium Point. It's a real pity it didn't. Most cities now have that feature and our green suburbs would be great to see. Perhaps they can convert the now defunct post office tower into an observation platform?

My friends who visit Birmingham like the city centre but complain you don't have to walk far to see tat. Little by little though I think they're improving it.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 10:53:20 AM »
The Modern Family thing?  I guess it is a reflection on society really.  If there weren't so many single parent families then it would be irrelevant I guess.

Judith

Yes, but does it suggest that Birmingham is a city of one parent families? Why could in not have represented a normal husband and wife family with the average 2 children? Does Birmingham have to have more than it's share of one parent families to show that it's a modern city? Personally I don't think it has any more per capita than any other major conurbation.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 12:28:36 PM »

hi phil

well perhaps they was thinking along the lines of if we done a family mom dad and kids then the single moms  and dads would have felt discriminated  against and you know what some tree huggers are like

but  town is ok to get about and its welcoming to folk who do not know there way about but a lot of the inner city could do with bringing  up to date 
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 01:38:02 PM »
Roy

The trouble is, that all the major businesses are in the city and all the visitors congregate in the city and the major ratepayers are based in the city and as long as this continues then no council will bother about what happens outside the the major business area. I've no major complaints about Birmingham today, I just whish they would think about the citizens of Birmingham a little more and stop building to attract visitors and the kudos that goes with that type of modernisation.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy