Author Topic: Birmingham as it is now, what do you like or dislike?  (Read 8024 times)

JudithM

Re: Birmingham as it is now, what do you like or dislike?
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2018, 01:32:13 PM »
It's the people that live in the areas that make it scruffy,nothing to do with the councils.They don't employ workers to clean the streets any more.

There are council employed street cleaners.  I see many of them about, both in the City Centre & the suburbs.  But yes, people need to take care of the areas they live in too & not expect others to clean up for them.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2018, 01:42:32 PM »
Judith

I agree that people should not expect others to clear up their mess even Council employees, I don't think that the fines for littering are used to their full potential or are high enough. In my opinion they should be a minimum fine of £250 or 100 hours community service cleaning the streets or both if thought needed.

Though I would like to see all litter wardens properly trained and tested for common sense before they are allowed out on the streets on their own.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2018, 03:03:49 PM »
ladypool road was all ways kept clean by the shop keepers   they kept there rubbish out the back of the shop until bin day it was never left out in the road each shop keeper would sweep the front of his shop and get the rubbish up but sadly that's not the case today some days it looks like a tip  who do you blame for that I go to the carpets shops in that part of Birmingham to get a good deal on the carpets cash in hand works well  im happy that I do not live in that part of Birmingham now but I did in the past  so I remember how it was and how it is now that's what I dislike the rubbish left for other to clean away
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

JudithM

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2018, 01:04:13 PM »
ladypool road was all ways kept clean by the shop keepers   they kept there rubbish out the back of the shop until bin day it was never left out in the road each shop keeper would sweep the front of his shop and get the rubbish up but sadly that's not the case today some days it looks like a tip  who do you blame for that I go to the carpets shops in that part of Birmingham to get a good deal on the carpets cash in hand works well  im happy that I do not live in that part of Birmingham now but I did in the past  so I remember how it was and how it is now that's what I dislike the rubbish left for other to clean away
It's the same in a lot of places.  Personally, I find wheelie bins an eyesore, many houses/shops have nowhere to put them but out on the street side of the property.  They become the focal point - instead of seeing nice front gardens the first thing you see is essentially the occupants refuse.

There are alleys and side streets now in the City Centre that are just places for the large industrial wheelie bins to go.  I've noticed this particularly in Needless Alley and Union Passage, but anywhere there is the back entrance to a premises there are these giant bins.  Even Gas Street has them outside the one pub (as there is no rear access due to the canal).  There must be a more pleasant solution.  I've worked in & around the city centre for the best part of the last 35 years and it's the past couple of years that I've noticed this.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2018, 02:37:56 PM »
 bins on the pavement now that looks bad   does any one remember when the bin men would come round the back of your house and take the bin that was full of ash from the coal fire we had most of the house hold waist got put on the fire (paper and veg waist ) but now every thing you buy comes in a box bag so your left with a lot of waist to put in your bin we have to sort it now so in the past you had one bin now you have two or three some times and if its not at hand or the lid is up because its full it gets left by the bin men just think of a road that has 300 homes that's    six hundred  bins  and if they are out on the pavement what an eye sore they look so some one from out side the uk comes to Birmingham and sees the bins rubbish in the roads what must they think? it does not happen where I live the bin men will come up the drive and drag the bin to there lorry and put the bin back if they spill any thing they pick it up I can not see the bin men doing that in brum mind you .you would not notice it any way the road are full of rubbish any way  that's my dislike for to day O0

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2018, 03:48:46 PM »
The thing is Roy, Birmingham is no different to anywhere else in this respect. When these Council officials came up with these wheelie bins no thought was given to those properties with no access to their rear gardens except through their houses. Did they really think people were going to wheel dustbins through their houses once a week.

This photo demonstrates it's not just Birmingham, it's from your neck of the woods.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2018, 04:29:58 PM »
so I ask the question what did they do before when the bins had ash in them from the coal fire they did not bring the bin though  the house then ? if you go round the back of some of the houses in Stourport you will find in the back garden a bin cupboard  next to the house buy the old coal house but no they put the bin out the front because they can not be bothered to wheel the bins from the back to the front plus the bin men will not wheel them round  the councils have made this mess

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2018, 05:20:30 PM »
Roy it would take much longer for the mento go round to the back of the houses so the bin men wouldn't be able to empty so many bins.Whilst on holiday last year in the Ardenne in France the men where still emptying bins at 10-30 at night and all seemed happy to do it
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

townie

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2018, 05:21:51 PM »
Didn't these back to back and old terrace houses have gates with access to each others back yard?
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Scipio

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2018, 10:39:19 AM »
Roy it would take much longer for the mento go round to the back of the houses so the bin men wouldn't be able to empty so many bins.Whilst on holiday last year in the Ardenne in France the men where still emptying bins at 10-30 at night and all seemed happy to do it

Yes Edmund they are very happy unlike our binmen in the UK , who still seem to want to operate the way they used to. Get the bins emptied and in the pub by 11.00 am
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2018, 11:16:56 AM »
Can we just remember that this thread is about "Birmingham as it is now, what do you like or dislike".  Yes whilst Birmingham's salvage department is a valid point, I think it has pretty well been covered now and as we don't want the thread to turn into a thread on that topic alone it would be best if we now moved on.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy