Author Topic: Birmingham as it is now, what do you like or dislike?  (Read 8020 times)

Scipio

Re: Birmingham as it is now, what do you like or dislike?
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2018, 08:36:28 PM »
Can we just remember that this thread is about "Birmingham as it is now, what do you like or dislike".  Yes whilst Birmingham's salvage department is a valid point, I think it has pretty well been covered now and as we don't want the thread to turn into a thread on that topic alone it would be best if we now moved on.

To be honest I like none of it , members remember like you I was a mod in the 60's and could not keep away from the city centre, alas
those long far off  younger days have gone . Looking at brum the way it is today, not for me thanks, last time I was there it was claustrophobic , beggars on corners near New St station , that really niggles me there are that departments now for peoples welfare how can people still be sitting on the floor begging . There was nothing like this help in the 60's and people were not openly begging
apart from the Hari Krishna conglomerate . None of present day Birmingham attracts me like days gone by, the architecture is naff ,where has all the artistic buildings , like the Victoriana as was gone .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2018, 09:07:06 PM »
Scipio

Most of the things that you outline are universal and not endemic to Birmingham. We have always had dissidents and layabouts (I was one of them at one time). Although I agree very strongly about the modern day naff architecture, but this also is not restricted to Birmingham is it?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2018, 10:30:41 PM »
Scipio

Most of the things that you outline are universal and not endemic to Birmingham. We have always had dissidents and layabouts (I was one of them at one time). Although I agree very strongly about the modern day naff architecture, but this also is not restricted to Birmingham is it?

Yes I agree but after all Phil Birmingham is the subject , one other point Phil I'm sure with the intelligence you display on here you were not sitting on the corner with your hand out , expecting someone else to help you out
Mark Twain

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2018, 10:53:04 PM »

hi phil
               I was thinking about what you said and the photo that you put up about my neck of the woods has you put it  my neck of the woods and Birmingham they are two different world they have bins like Birmingham but the shop keepers take pride in the high street and so do the folk that live in this neck of the woods and yes you will find litter in the park by the river but its not put there by the folk that live hear its left by the visitors who mostly come from Birmingham   I have not seen any beggars on the high street in Stourport come to think of it iv not seen any ruff sleepers yes you will find them in kiddy I go there a lot for shopping and banking

but to bring it back on to the topic most of the main rout in to Birmingham are a disgrace and the closer you get to the city the more it stands out that's what I dislike about my birth place   I can live with the new building in town the old building will not last forever  they all will be changed one day  not in my life time but perhaps my grand kids life time but its still a grate place and im happy to tell any one  I come from brum
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2018, 11:31:00 PM »
Were you a layabout then Phil
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

JudithM

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2018, 01:25:15 PM »

but to bring it back on to the topic most of the main rout in to Birmingham are a disgrace and the closer you get to the city the more it stands out that's what I dislike about my birth place   I can live with the new building in town the old building will not last forever  they all will be changed one day  not in my life time but perhaps my grand kids life time but its still a grate place and im happy to tell any one  I come from brum

Maybe that will change ahead of the Commonwealth Games in 2022.  Like they 'tarted up' the routes into London for the Olympics?  Some areas have had positive changes to them already (Newtown for instance looks a lot nicer than when I lived there 20 years ago).

I think a big issue we have (and I'm sure that this applies to other towns & cities too) that there are many empty industrial/office buildings on the outskirts of town that there is no use for now.  With businesses downsizing and/or moving to areas with cheaper rental (or relocating into the city proper) they just stand empty & are a target for vandal.  For many years Nova Court at the back of Bristol Street Motors has been an eyesore.  I believe that it is due to be demolished shortly.  Monaco House has already been razed.

It would be great if we could get some of these sites re-used for housing - even if it's just for student accommodation to free up some houses in places like Selly Oak for families.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2018, 01:36:02 PM »
Were you a layabout then Phil

Just an off the cuff comment, and in itself nothing to do with this thread.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2018, 12:46:01 PM »
One thing I do really like is how the whole canal area around Brindley Place & Gas Street has been revived.  I like how they have bought the older buildings back into use, and that the newer ones are sympathetic with the surroundings.  They seem to be making an effort around Digbeth like this too, it's great to see the character, and a visible record of it's history, left in an area.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2018, 01:44:23 PM »
Judith,why didn't they try to save all the lovely old buildings (the outsides anyway ) instead of all the Glass monstrosities they have continued to put up and will probably knock down in the next 40 years.Someone on the council as made a lot of money out of it :knuppel2: :knuppel2: :knuppel2:
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Scipio

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2018, 08:51:10 PM »
One thing I do really like is how the whole canal area around Brindley Place & Gas Street has been revived.  I like how they have bought the older buildings back into use, and that the newer ones are sympathetic with the surroundings.  They seem to be making an effort around Digbeth like this too, it's great to see the character, and a visible record of it's history, left in an area.

Judith re Gas St , the six or so cottages on the towpath , a certain Mr Smith lived in one of those in the mid to late 50's . He pulled me out of the canal there with a boathook , I owed my life to that man as he said I was going down for the third time .Once you have there is no escape , you don't come up again .
Mark Twain

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2018, 09:05:28 PM »

Scipioin the 1950s if you had have fell in the cut at that time  you would not  have drowned  the stuff in the water would have killed you all the factory's along the cut used to dump there waist in the cut O0
yes they have done a good job around gas street I do like what I see there
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy